Question FX cpu overclocking on a 970 mobo (4+1 phase)

Mar 14, 2019
I have an asrock 970 extreme4 currently occupied by a phenom ii x6 1055t. Its overclocked a bit but the temps got a bit out of hand (hyper tx3 tower cooler I think)so it's a very mild overclock.

I can get a new fx processor pretty cheap (for this country anyway) and I'm considering an upgrade on this system to act as a stop gap so I can sell my main system to fund a new build. My options are an fx6300, fx8300 or an fx8350 (with a wraith) all for similar money. I plan on re thermal pasting the heatsinks and switching out the 800w non bronze rated corsair psu for an evga supernova 750 g2 (which I already own)

I'm sure out of the 3 the fx6300 is the best choice for this mobo, the fx8300 seems pointless since I could underclock the 8350 but I am tempted by the fx8350 because of the wraith and the potential this cooler may have of dropping my vrm temps.

If I slam a few extra case fans on my Zalman z9 neo or switch the system over to a define r5 case (already owned) with a side fan installed is it possible to get a semi decent oc with this board and an fx8350?

Also I could pair either a gtx 970 or a gtx 780 (both already owned) with this system (it has a gtx 570 in it right now). Will an FX handle the 970 Ok or am I better off with the slight step down to the gtx780?

Thanks

Mar 14, 2019
Do not overclock an FX 8350 on that board. I don't care how much cooling you have 4+1 VRM is not enough. The other 2 you can mildly overclock. I would use a GTX 970 with them.
Thanks rogue leader

Would it handle the fx8350 at stock? The VRMs are problem with the 1055t and I read that top down coolers can help with this, I also read that the wraith is a reasonably good cooler.

If the mobo cant handle the fx8350 at stock is it possible to underclock the 8350 to 8300 levels? The price is very similar and it seems like a waste to buy the 8300 and not get the wraith. Unless the 8300 will give me less vrm issues than the 1055t. I think from memory my 1055t is the 125w version (long time since I even plugged it in).

Many thanks for your advice

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thanks rogue leader

Would it handle the fx8350 at stock? The VRMs are problem with the 1055t and I read that top down coolers can help with this, I also read that the wraith is a reasonably good cooler.

If the mobo cant handle the fx8350 at stock is it possible to underclock the 8350 to 8300 levels? The price is very similar and it seems like a waste to buy the 8300 and not get the wraith. Unless the 8300 will give me less vrm issues than the 1055t. I think from memory my 1055t is the 125w version (long time since I even plugged it in).

Many thanks for your advice

No, I wouldn't run an 8350 Stock on that either. While the board says it supports 125w processors, we were dealing for YEARS with people with stability problems with the 8350 on that.

You are correct in that the Wraith is good and having a downdraft cooler is better on these CPUs because of VRM cooling.

The 1055t is 125w. I had an 1100T which was 145w. You can underclock the 8350 if need be, that would probably do the job for you. Disable turbo and limit the clocks to 4ghz, or maybe even 3.8 and you may be ok. The 8300 is 3.2ghz base clock I don't think you need to go that low.

Mar 14, 2019
No, I wouldn't run an 8350 Stock on that either. While the board says it supports 125w processors, we were dealing for YEARS with people with stability problems with the 8350 on that.

You are correct in that the Wraith is good and having a downdraft cooler is better on these CPUs because of VRM cooling.

The 1055t is 125w. I had an 1100T which was 145w. You can underclock the 8350 if need be, that would probably do the job for you. Disable turbo and limit the clocks to 4ghz, or maybe even 3.8 and you may be ok. The 8300 is 3.2ghz base clock I don't think you need to go that low.
Thanks for your help

Mar 14, 2019
Honestly you wont be getting a very substantial upgrade over an X6 for the money.
I would skip the stop gap measures and save up for a new platform, dont waste money on an FX.
I have the money for a new build and I'm going to sell my haswell system to fund a new gpu. It's highly likely I'm going to be working abroad soon so I want the haswell system sold in plenty of time so I'm not forced into a quick sale. I'm also not planning on doing the new build until I move since it will be cheaper to buy the parts elsewhere. The FX system will just be left here for use when I'm visiting.

Nobody would buy that phenom system from me if I put it up for sale, I bought it dirt cheap about 3 years ago because the guy couldn't sell it. It would sell with an FX though so if I consider the entire PC as worthless I would at least double the purchase price of the fx8350 selling the PC with the fx in it, drop some LEDs in it then maybe triple my money (that's not a joke).

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Hi, from personal experience with a gigabyte 970A-UD3 I got an FX 8350 to 4.6ghz and 4.5ghz stable enough for gaming i.e. Prime95 for 3 hours. Your games will never crash on that, the 970 just limits you in terms of getting over 4.6ghz, it won't happen. I'm not sure people who rave about how bad 970 boards are have every actually used them, or maybe they've just had bad luck...

But as the others say, I don't think there's that's much point getting an 8350 if you don't already have one and I doubt you'll make money off making one as they already have a bit of a stigma

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hi, from personal experience with a gigabyte 970A-UD3 I got an FX 8350 to 4.6ghz and 4.5ghz stable enough for gaming i.e. Prime95 for 3 hours. Your games will never crash on that, the 970 just limits you in terms of getting over 4.6ghz, it won't happen. I'm not sure people who have about how bad 970 boards have every actually used them, or maybe they've just had bad luck...

But as the others say, I don't think there's that's much point getting an 8350 if you don't already have one and I doubt you'll make money off making one as they already have a bit of a stigma

The 970A-UD3 is one of the best if not the best 970 board made. MANY MANY 970 boards are not as good. Has nothing to do with the chipset, but instead the VRMs. Yours has an 8+2 VRM setup, his is HALF that.