FX overclocking questions

SteelOwl

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
I have FX 8300 and M5A97 EVO R2.0. I will use this configuration for a long time (let say 7+ years), until it last so I was wondering what is safe overclock for my configuration? Will OC drastically reduce CPU and mobo lifespan? Is it better to OC with multiplier or Fsb, is it a big difference in perfomance?

Solution
CountMike has summed it up nicely.

You say you have a good PSU but which one is it exactly? A lot of branded PSUs can be terrible.

The lifespan of a CPU depends on heat, which is linked to voltage. The more power you pump through the CPU the hotter it gets.

If you aren't sure where to start then give this a read; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272214-29-wolfram-beginner-guide-overclocking. The absolute worst thing you can do is dive-in without knowing what you're doing.
Problem is even an overclocked FX8xxx is going to be outperformed by a Skylake i5 or even i3 in nearly every aspect. The FX series are already looking old and a bit weak so I cannot see it lasting 7 years, people are dropping them now as they are weak. Overclocking is a good way to get more out of it but I would not invest any money in that setup, I'd stat saving for something newer.

But if he needs to buy anything to allow for overclocking like a decent cooler or better PSU it's money down the drain and his expectation of that CPU lasting 7 years is highly unlikely, might as well face up to that now and plan for an upgrade. Sometime people with less knowledge don't know the right questions to ask so you need to give them an answer that you think will help them the most but not necessarily the answer to the question they asked

jtk2515

Distinguished
Well if you want your system to last longer with the overclock Make sure you put a Fan on your VRM's because those will get hotter then the CPU. You could also put some good TIM on the VRM's for some better thermals. Next is get you a high quality CPU cooler. Also dont boot up with the overclock if your just going to be on the internet for 6 hours. Most Motherboards have Bios profiles for OC and normal.

SteelOwl

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
I already have good PSU, case and aftermarket cooler. Usually I don't play AAA games but I am pretty sure that directX 12 will give new life for FX series. Use this test as example:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-broadwell-e-review/3/

For playing on a 60hz monitor it is a great budget option. I just wanted to know how far should I go with a voltage without reducing lifespan...

CountMike has summed it up nicely.

You say you have a good PSU but which one is it exactly? A lot of branded PSUs can be terrible.

The lifespan of a CPU depends on heat, which is linked to voltage. The more power you pump through the CPU the hotter it gets.

If you aren't sure where to start then give this a read; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272214-29-wolfram-beginner-guide-overclocking. The absolute worst thing you can do is dive-in without knowing what you're doing.

Solution

SteelOwl

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
I have Seasonic X-series 850. I will read that, thank you. Already I read a lot about overclocking, I learn quicky:) I was just asking why bios profile change when I have power saving options.