FX5200, AGP 8x in AGP 4x slot, different voltages, too muc..

Hi,

I am getting close to buying a fx5200 card with only a heatsink ;)

The only thing which I am not sure about is AGP 4x.

Somebody said that AGP 4x and AGP 8x uses different voltages.

The FX5200 seems to support AGP 8x.

My motherboard only supports AGP 4x.

The dude said the following if he remembered correctly:

An AGP 8x slot use less voltage than an AGP 4x slot.

When sticking an AGP 4x card into an AGP 8x slot the card doesn't get enough
power.

When sticking an AGP 8x card into an AGP 4x slot the card will receive to
much power and might not like it.

Is that true ? Is it dangerous ? will the fx5200 in my system get damaged ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Slug

On Wed, 12 May 2004 03:09:36 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
<nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>When sticking an AGP 8x card into an AGP 4x slot the card will receive to
>much power and might not like it.
>
>Is that true ? Is it dangerous ? will the fx5200 in my system get damaged ?
>
>Bye,
> Skybuck.

No, it's not true. You can put an AGP 8X card in a 4X slot. If you
look at the box the card comes in it will say compatible with 4X and
8X.

anybody

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2002

Yes!!
Your best bet is to stick with your TNT2 and buy a new fan for less then 10
bucks and screw it onto the old heatsink!!

"Anybody" <nomailover@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Yes!!
> Your best bet is to stick with your TNT2 and buy a new fan for less then
10
> bucks and screw it onto the old heatsink!!

Yes... but one screw is stuck... so now I need some sort of special thing to
get it out.

I am not sure if it will succeed... but at least the plastic around the
screw is now gone a bit like 3 mm's.

So the tiny screw which is damaged is sticking out 3 mm's.

I would need a new screw as well otherwise I can't screw it in lol.

So screw you lol.