FX5900Ultra, PC Won't Boot

marshallx

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
I just purchased an FX5900 Ultra and when I put it in my PC i dont get a boot, only fans spinning including the one on the card. I have tried absolutely everything I know of to try and get it working including a new 400 WATT PSU, Disconnecting all of my fans except hard drive, erasing on the gold connectors, cleaning the AGP slot and removing all extra cards. When I put my old geforce in my pc works fine.

Computer Specs.

PCCHIPS M920LR Motherboard [AGP 2.0/4X]
P4 1.4
400 WATT PSU
768 MB DDR 2100
40 GB HDD
SB LIVE

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CARD
Intel Pentium® III, AMD Duron or Athlon™ class processor or higher
128MB system RAM
A 350W system power supply
An AGP compliant motherboard with an AGP 2.0 slot
A vacant PCI slot adjacent to the AGP slot. The GeForce FX card occupies 2 slots: AGP and 1 PCI
20 MB of available hard disk space (50 MB for full installation)
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
Windows® 95 OSR2, 98 or higher, ME, 2000, XP, or Windows® NT4.0. (Service Pack 5 or 6)
VGA or DVI-I compatible monitor

I meet all those, I have tried resetting the CMOS as well now.

chad_n

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Hi,

Make sure you didn't overlook hooking up the 12V connector to the end of the card. I wouldn't have noticed if not for the y-adapter i saw in the box. Sorry it's the only thing I can think of. The only time I hade this happen to me was when the AGP slot wasn't connecting to the card until I re-seated it a few times (PCB was actually slightly warped).

chad

marshallx

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
Yea I hooked it up hence the fan on the card was spinning.. should i pull out the card a bit and see if it works not fully pushed in?

Krazy

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
I wouldn't pull the card out of the APG slot, not leaving the card firmly in or having it 'pulled out a bit', could really stuff up the card and even the motherboard!

It would be better if you could try the card in another PC, and if you do find out that the card is at fault, just return it for a new one, and see if the problem contiues.
The only other thing is maybe stick in your old card, then make sure that you BOIS is set up Ok (resetting it may put settings in that you don't want) and your M/B is setup ok with jumpers and the such, though this shouldn't really be a problem if it's a newer M/B. Make sure you also didn't accidently knock anything out of place while installing the card into your PC eg. memory.
But, yeah, try it in a nother PC, see if it works there.
well, that's all i can think of :-D

good luck and nice card by the way, if only you could get it to work

<font color=red>If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Krazy on 08/05/03 02:40 AM.</EM></FONT></P>