FX8300 to Ryzen 5 2600x/1700x/new Intel 9xxx - worth it?

sentenced06

Honorable
Oct 10, 2018
Hello everyone, thinking about upgrading my old good fx8300 cpu to Ryzen 5 2600x or similar one (depending on prices)

My question is - how much performance will I get after the upgrade? Especially in games like Battlefield 1 (mutliplayer 64 man) or Rainbow Six Siege (TAA, high textures, 16x anisotropic, medium shades etc), also in other games like GTA5, Witcher 3, PUBG, BFV, CoDBO4.

My rig right now contains: FX 8300, Coolermaster Tx3 Evo, m5a97 2.0, 16gb 1600mhz g.skill ram, HIS rx470 4gb, 120gb ssd+1tb wd exec hdd, Chieftec 650 gold psu, Win 10 1803. Planning to play in 1920x1080 reso, maybe with 144hz monitor in the future.

Two things which are stopping me from upgrade are:
1) I'm forced to change not only CPU but mobo+ram as well. And DDR4 RAM costs quite alot now so switching 16gb ddr3 > 16gb ddr4 will be costly abit wont it?
CPU costs also ~3x more and you need good mobo for that (something like b450/x470). So here I really hope for some good performance per $$$ increase.
2) Alot of youtube tests show some weird results, like FX having 80 fps and Ryzen 5 2600 having 120 fps in games like AC Origins lol, so is the difference really that small or what's the trick? Some website reviews though show something like x2 difference in FPS (100 vs 200 etc). It depends from game to game and every test, every specs are not the same. Still wanna sort this out. Or find some legit info about that.

I thank you in advance for any kind of help.

Solution
Quite alot, the FX series is both old and even new was sorta weak for gaming. The 2600 is a better deal then the 2600X since it can be overclocked to and slightly past the stock 2600X speeds. I would skip 1st Gen Ryzens altogether and as far as Intel who really knows, it probably wont be a huge difference in real world performance.

If you are on a budget even buying a used DDR3 RAM i7 4770 or K variant of it will pretty much spank your FX in gaming performance.
Quite alot, the FX series is both old and even new was sorta weak for gaming. The 2600 is a better deal then the 2600X since it can be overclocked to and slightly past the stock 2600X speeds. I would skip 1st Gen Ryzens altogether and as far as Intel who really knows, it probably wont be a huge difference in real world performance.

If you are on a budget even buying a used DDR3 RAM i7 4770 or K variant of it will pretty much spank your FX in gaming performance.

Solution
it really depends i guess on what your expectations are, will there be a difference in gaming? of course, but is it enough for you to feel good about the money you spend, i can't answer that. at 1080p if I were you i probably wouldnt splurge just yet, but if you wanted to game at 1440 or 4k, obviously your current hardware won't support those resolutions. the games you mentioned bf1, pubg for example are very cpu intensive, I know stepping up from an i5 to an i7 made a huge difference in my gaming experience, not in all games but in some. i imagine it's similar in situation, it always costs more than you want to spend unfortunately.

TRENDING THREADS