FX8350 4.5Ghz OC & Vcore Drop - Normal?

4UT0P1L0T

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
I just built a system with the FX 8350 and Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 3.0 board. I found a ton of sites saying beware of this board for OC'ing after the fact I already bought it. Although I do still have time to RMA, this post is to kinda justify if it's worth doing or not.I tried my hand at OC'ing anyway and got it to 4.5Ghz @ 1.332v, which is stock vcore values. I have ran Prime95 a few times, longest for about 25 minutes with no errors or heat issues. Idle was 25C and 100% for 25 mins was 55C.

During Prime my vcore with begin to fluctuate a few minutes into it down to 0.888v (x7 @ 1.4Ghz). Is this normal? I have read this regarding multiple CPU/Board combos, so I know it's just not mine specifically. Other than that, normal usage and gaming have no effect on vcore values. I'm using HWMonitor to watch min/max over normal use and its only during 100% stress that it drops significantly.

Multiple sites say the drop is normal for CPU's. But others seem to think its a big issue. So, is it normal? do I have anything to worry about? I can RMA this board for the UD5, but I don't really want to pay restocking fee's if this isn't a big deal.

General specs:
- AMD FX 8350 @ 4.5Ghz (1.332v)
- 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 3.0
- Corsair TX650w Ethusiast
- Corsair H60 w/ 2 SP 120 High Perf. fans

UEFI Advanced CPU Options:
Vcore LLC: Ultra High
C1E Support: Disabled
Cool N Quiet: Disabled
SVM: Disabled
C6 State: Disabled
HPC: Enabled

Windows Power Settings: Performance w/ CPU on Passive

Please let me know if you need anymore information.

For reasons that are beyond the scope of this explanation, the voltage used at some operating frequency will drop a tad bit when the CPU is placed under load conditions at that same frequency. This is normal for standard operation, but in finely tuned overclocking setups without significant voltage headroom such a drop can result in instability. The firmware setting "Load Line Calibration" is designed to counter this and setting it on high should counter the voltage drop, but may put the CPU at risk of damage.

What you're most likely seeing is the CPU throttling itself back (note that it changes voltage and frequency at the same time), possibly due to power consumption limits.

madcratebuilder

Honorable
May 10, 2013
UEFI Advanced CPU Options:
Vcore LLC: Ultra High
C1E Support: Disabled
Cool N Quiet: Disabled
SVM: Disabled
C6 State: Disabled
HPC: Enabled

Turn off HPC, that should stop the throttling.

I have the same mobo-cpu, I'm stable at 4.5ghz on a h80i water cooler. 4.6 and I see core drops after a hour or so of P95, no crash or BSOD, just shuts down one or two cores and keeps on going. My temps well run 50-52*C at full load

Upgrading to the UD5 well buy you better components on the mobo, same BIOS I think. Have you flashed the latest UD3 v3 BIOS, it's "FC".

4UT0P1L0T

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

Bios is up to date on the UD3 with FC, and I have tried multiple combinations of settings with no luck. HPC on/off and all the LLC settings. Still 0.888v drops.

justgopown

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
may try to use easy tune 6 from gigabyte.com and use the quickboost setting it will overclock your cpu for you so...

you just need to restart and its overclocked i have fx4100 instant stable overclock with quickboost :) with my processor the highest auto oc is 4,4Ghz so... may your one get the 4,5 i have the same mobo

edit: download link: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4397#utility

Solution

4UT0P1L0T

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
I have figured out the issue, well not personally myself, but through a collective of people who have this same board and same issue. The issue lies with the UD3 Rev 3.0 board itself. The VRM heatsink is junk, causing the VRMs to overheat, thus throttling the CPU. There *is* a fix, but it basically requires purchasing a new VRM heatsink, or adding as much airflow around the VRM and NB as possible. But the best solution to this problem, would be to not even buy this board, save $30-40 more and get the 990FXA-UD5 and save the trouble.

See this for more details: http://www.overclock.net/t/1023100/official-gigabyte-ga-990fxa-series-owners-thread-club/5090