[SOLVED] FX8350 and RX460 in 2021

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 10, 2021
Hello everyone! :)
I have a two questions about building the PC. I'm owning AMD FX 8350 processor (since 2013, for more than 7 years!) and ASUS RX460 . I want to build the best PC based on this processor and GPU! My budget is $800! I need a PC for game development!
I searched the internet and found suitable components for my processor :
  • Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3
  • Cooler - DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 300
  • RAM - PATRIOT PSD38G16002 DDR3 - 8GB
  • Power Supply - AEROCOOL VX PLUS 650W
  • SSD - SAMSUNG 860 EVO MZ-76E500BW 500GB
  • Case - Zalman N3 black ATX Window
Additional information :
  • Approximate Purchase Date: This week.
  • Budget Range: $800!
  • System Usage from Most to Least Important: Game development/Rendering.
  • Are you buying a monitor: No.
  • Parts Preferences: The best of the best.
  • Overclocking: Yes! I want to reach the peak performance with this processor!
  • Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080.
  • Additional Comments: I want to have the best build on FX8350 and RX460.
  • And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I do not want to sell my CPU and GPU. They still working well.
My first question : Does this is the best build on AMD FX 8350 and ASUS RX460 in 2021?
The second question : Is it even worth it building a PC on this old processor and GPU?
I really need your help guys :(
I never built a PC before in my life. I am afraid to make a mistake. I appreciate any kind of help! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
That's my mistake.
I thought that FX 8350 is one of the best processors, and despite the age it still good in 2021.

If you already had the parts to go with it, it's not so bad to use, but it's hard to justify using actual 2021 money when you have such better options.

Literally any modern CPU with at least as many cores will outperform it. The two-core/four-thread Athlon 3000G, a $50 CPU made for basic office or home email/web-surfing PCs, doesn't even fall behind it until you're actually doing eight-core things.

We're not throwing any shade at AMD -- the Ryzens are terrific and turned around the company -- but we just really don't want you to get less than the best you can get for your money.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I thought that even for its age it's a pretty good CPU...

It's not. It's not even a pretty good CPU for an older CPU than its age; the FX series barely moved the needle from the 2010 Phenom IIs.

Can you please explain why?
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R3.0 is not expensive at all (less than 80$).

$80 is horrifically expensive when, for $20 more, you can buy a new B550 motherboard that actually runs a CPU you want to run in 2021.

The only way this makes sense is if your budget is only $100, will not go up in a long time, and you need this PC to work. Building an $800 rig around this, you're literally lighting money on fire.

It's not. It's not even a pretty good CPU for an older CPU than its age; the FX series barely moved the needle from the 2010 Phenom IIs.

$80 is horrifically expensive when, for $20 more, you can buy a new B550 motherboard that actually runs a CPU you want to run in 2021.

The only way this makes sense is if your budget is only $100, will not go up in a long time, and you need this PC to work. Building an $800 rig around this, you're literally lighting money on fire.
And that's true even if he threw CPU away !

That's my mistake.
I thought that FX 8350 is one of the best processors, and despite the age it still good in 2021.
It's still good for whatever was doing 5 or more years ago but it can't hold up to most even lowest range of new processors.
When I switched from my FX 6350 OCed to 4.9GHz to low range Ryzen 1600x it was more than 4 times slower than that Ryzen.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That's my mistake.

If you already had the parts to go with it, it's not so bad to use, but it's hard to justify using actual 2021 money when you have such better options.

Literally any modern CPU with at least as many cores will outperform it. The two-core/four-thread Athlon 3000G, a $50 CPU made for basic office or home email/web-surfing PCs, doesn't even fall behind it until you're actually doing eight-core things.

We're not throwing any shade at AMD -- the Ryzens are terrific and turned around the company -- but we just really don't want you to get less than the best you can get for your money.

Solution
Jan 10, 2021

Thank you.
I decided to build an $800 PC and sell my CPU and GPU. :)
You guys saved my money. I really appreciate your help!