fx8350 or Intel Xeon e3 for future gaming with directx 12

fisherr03

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I'm building a new PC I have 2 builds one using amds fx8350 and one using Intel's Xeon e3 processor.I was wondering when directx 12 is used by games will the fx8350 be a match for the Xeon in gaming or will the Xeon still beat it.I picked the Xeon e3 as I was reading that it is like an i7 4790 but you can't overlock it. I don't mind about over clocking as I'm on a 800pound budget.

Solution
DX12, by itself is not a big deal. You will get the advantages of it when game developers take the time to implement it.
They may not do that since it will take more effort to implement low level code.
The faster path through DX12 graphics will help both types of cpus.
To some extent, 8 cores will be helpful since the FX-8 has more cores.
Still 4 faster cores are probably better. Read up on "Amdahs's law"

If you will not be overclocking, I would rank gaming cpu choices in this order:
i7-4790K 4.0/4.4 turbo at stock.
I5-4690 or i5-4690K @ 3.5 The extra hyperthreads of the i7 and xeon chips will go largely unused in games.
The value of a 4690K is that you can easily get 15% more power with a mild overclock. It is a nice option to...

fisherr03

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Will the fx8350 be improved by directx 12 using more than 4 cores efficiently in furture games.the xeon e3 has 4 strong core but what I'm trying to ask is wheather directx 12 and games using more cores than 4 in the furture going to make fx 8350 stronger with its more core or shall I go with the Xeon and that be good for gaming for a few years

fisherr03

Honorable
May 2, 2013
ShadowR34per

I had a similar build in mind apart from the graphic card and power supply.is the 970 a lot better than a r90. I had a 600w cosair PSU just to be safe and I had a ssd 120gig as I have a hard drive from previous build. What benefits do you get from ssd

fisherr03

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Yer Ill probz get the 970 then.I had a cosair 600/before had no problems I wasn't sure which were good quality I had a power cooler before but that blew so after that leanrt not to cut price on PSU.

Do you know if directx 12 will make fx cpu stronger in new games if they use more cores than 4

In my build I picked Kingston fury black 16gig ddr3 1866 99 pound.isn't that better than the 1600 you picked

RabidApocalypse

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015

DirectX12 will mostly likely increase the performance. I was listening to a pod cast and they said it could possibly double the performance of the CPU or even more.

DX12, by itself is not a big deal. You will get the advantages of it when game developers take the time to implement it.
They may not do that since it will take more effort to implement low level code.
The faster path through DX12 graphics will help both types of cpus.
To some extent, 8 cores will be helpful since the FX-8 has more cores.
Still 4 faster cores are probably better. Read up on "Amdahs's law"

If you will not be overclocking, I would rank gaming cpu choices in this order:
i7-4790K 4.0/4.4 turbo at stock.
I5-4690 or i5-4690K @ 3.5 The extra hyperthreads of the i7 and xeon chips will go largely unused in games.
The value of a 4690K is that you can easily get 15% more power with a mild overclock. It is a nice option to have, even if you have no oc plans initially.
I discount the FX chips, they are old and slow for gaming. OK for multithreaded apps.

FWIW.
I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
120gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games. If you can go 240gb, you may never need a hard drive.

I would defer on the hard drive unless you need to store large files such as video's.
It is easy to add a hard drive later.
Samsung EVO is a good choice.
Intel 730 is OK too.
The value of a ssd is not so much for gaming as it is for everything else you do.
But, consider the source that says a ssd can help fps consistency:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/why/forGamer.html

On graphics, amd and nvidia will have similar performance at equal price points.
The R9 cards get their speed with aggressive clocks. That adds to power requirements and some cards have problems.
Look at the proportion of negative reviews on newegg and compare to GTX970 .

Solution

fisherr03

Honorable
May 2, 2013
So if there is like they say a big boost in performance I wasn't sure what CPU to get I was reading that directx 12 will help 6 core CPUs the most by using more of the cores more efficient the fx 8350 has 8 cores and Xeon e3 4 cores. So the main question was if the fx 8350 would catch up to Intel in gaming using directx 12 as its the cheaper option and could use the extra 70 80 pound on graphic card.