[SOLVED] fx8350 upgrade

BrennB

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
I am just curious about upgrading my cpu as I was going to get back into streaming/just playing and would like steady high fps on certain games (not bothered about quality of games as i tend to play low/medium for smoothness) Been reading briefly into ryzen i play games like csgo getting good cpu but was wondering for games like warzone a big map and just general high fps 100+ fps steadily. Thanks

My current setup -

FX8350
MSI 970 MOBO AM3+ SOCKET
GTX 1060 6GB OC EDITION
KRAKEN X52 COOLER
CX750M CORSAIR PSU
CRUCIAL SSD'S

Solution
Yeah - I have to say that doing anything with AM3 at this point is a bit pointless. You can get a B350/450 based AM4 board which will support up to (if they updated the AGESA) to Ryzen 5000 series CPUs which are pretty amazing. If you want to keep the price reasonable, you can get a Ryzen 3600 series for $150-200, and DDR4 prices are reasonable as well (8-16GB will run you $80ish). Pick up a good MOBO with 5000 series support ($70-100) and you'll have a great core to work with down the road. The cooler with a proper bracket could move over (some of the mounting systems between AM3 and AM4 retained compatibility!), the SSD's and the 1060 GPU would move right over as well.

It's not that the AM3 systems are -bad- but there is such a...

BrennB

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
so if i upgraded to a ryzen i would need ddr4 and mobo? Is there nothing i could upgrade that would use the same parts or is it not worth the money/performance compared to what i have now?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is not a worthwhile move within the AMD skews that make sense until AM4/'zen as far as cost.

Even if you were to move to (older) Intel the only thing you could bring over would be RAM, still need a mobo and CPU. Lots of Intels older 4th gen stuff still brings pretty high prices so as a comparison to future proofing to money it just isn't worth it.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
IMO, value for money right this moment without considering (future) upgrade path?
I would probably go with the i7 9700K that is on sale for $200 at Microcenter, and also includes $20 off a compatible mobo.
If I were going to consider upgrade path I would suggest a 5xx series mobo with 3xxx Ryzen.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Yeah - I have to say that doing anything with AM3 at this point is a bit pointless. You can get a B350/450 based AM4 board which will support up to (if they updated the AGESA) to Ryzen 5000 series CPUs which are pretty amazing. If you want to keep the price reasonable, you can get a Ryzen 3600 series for $150-200, and DDR4 prices are reasonable as well (8-16GB will run you $80ish). Pick up a good MOBO with 5000 series support ($70-100) and you'll have a great core to work with down the road. The cooler with a proper bracket could move over (some of the mounting systems between AM3 and AM4 retained compatibility!), the SSD's and the 1060 GPU would move right over as well.

It's not that the AM3 systems are -bad- but there is such a huge improvement in IPC between the bulldozer days and Ryzen that you just cant compare. I've got a Ryzen 1700 system which isn't even latest generation Ryzen and it smokes everything I've had. I even have some dual hex core Intel servers (dual X5680's, total of 12 cores and 24 threads @ 3.4ghz and 130w each) and the 8c16t Ryzen at 3.6ghz at 65w destroys it in benchmarks.

So it boils down to having a continued upgrade path, and newer technologies (NVME, DDR4, PCIE3/4) to improve your gaming vs trying to eke and squeeze out the diminishing returns of your AM3 platform...

Solution
Could someone advise me on a good cpu for streaming and playing games like warzone on, I understand I would need a new mobo and ram that’s fine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-i5-9...dchild=1&keywords=9600k&qid=1605807950&sr=8-3
It will reach 4.6ghz or higher with the right water cooling equipment, you shouldn't need it that high as it will be too good on 3.4ghz to 4.2ghz maximum oc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l...board+10th+gen&qid=1605808129&sr=8-3&dchild=1
Msi is mostly good with intel with these features it will be really good for what you are planning.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-Ballistix-BL2K8G32C16U4BL-Desktop-Gaming/dp/B083VMSY1B
Very good ram by crucial I bought this last month and it performs exactly as expected if not more, if it mostly helped with doom eternal over weight system requirements.

So... with the barebone parts I listed, you should be able to get those 3 parts under 500 pounds in the uk which is pretty bad ass for you.

TRENDING THREADS