[SOLVED] Fx9590

J8Y

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
please could someone explain how this is/isn’t possible..
I have an fx 9590 on gigabyte ga-990xa-ud3 rev3 “that works”. Looked up on gigabyte website to see what MB is compatible with the fx9590, the said above is not on the list and only supports fx8370, but somehow it works.. it’s running @ 4Ghz, temp is @51’c with a twin air cooler frostwin v2.0 that only supports upto 135w. I’ve updated the bios to allow it to run @ 4.7Ghz and only after doing so it’s now saying the cpu isn’t compatible. It worked before the update but now it doesn’t? would like to know how this has happened?
Any answers most welcome thanks.

Solution
That should be fine I have overkill on 1000w psu... it’s only temporary until I do ryzen 9, waited long enough for R7 so might as well save a bit more & go 9, unfortunately still 2-3 months but I’ll be :D:D. Will try & push fx8 to 5Ghz still. Old mb done 4.4 this mb should reach 5 depending on silicon. Thanks again 👍
It's not a question about PSU but VRM on the motherboard. You could feed it from a nuclear plant and VRM still won't be able to transfer it to CPU.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can revert bios, flashing to any version you wish with a working cpu. Swapping to a fully supported cpu should allow you to do so. Be careful here with your choice. There is a reason for the update to block support. Even though FX9590 worked on your board initially, the updated bios preventing you running it is a warning. The vrm's on this board will not handle this cpu for long.

Reactions: King_V

J8Y

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
Guess I’ll put the fx8350 back in & overclocking the hell out of it as did work just fine... Shouldn’t of tried 9590 in the first place as runs hot but with the Dark Rock TF 220W cpu air cooler not an issue @ 52c...thank you for your advice Boju, Appreciated.

Reactions: boju
Guess I’ll put the fx8350 back in & overclocking the hell out of it as did work just fine... Shouldn’t of tried 9590 in the first place as runs hot but with the Dark Rock TF 220W cpu air cooler not an issue @ 52c...thank you for your advice Boju, Appreciated.
FX 9590 is same as all other FX 8xxx CPUs but highly binned and allowed to draw more power. That's why it may work but that MB can't supply enough power. FX 8350 would need same power if you can make it to do 5GHz.

J8Y

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
That should be fine I have overkill on 1000w psu... it’s only temporary until I do ryzen 9, waited long enough for R7 so might as well save a bit more & go 9, unfortunately still 2-3 months but I’ll be :D:D. Will try & push fx8 to 5Ghz still. Old mb done 4.4 this mb should reach 5 depending on silicon. Thanks again 👍

FX 9590 has 220 TDP (Thermal Design Power) which is used as a guideline which tells you how much heat it should dissipate.

Since the motherboard does not support processors that put out that much heat, the motherboard will likely fail from damage generated by the 9000 Series AMD CPU.

J8Y

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
Well...it worked fine before the bios update & now it doesn’t so it’s probably going in the bin & my 8350 is coming out to play overclocker.

I suspect Gigabyte have deliberately blocked the FX9xxx after people using and highly likely damaging the VRM’s with prolonged use. If the motherboard does not claim to support FX9XXX series they trying to use one is asking for trouble, the power requirements are ridiculous and only the best motherboards could support them properly.

J8Y

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
It did support it first @4Ghz, bios update then said don’t support cpu but when clicked into bios it’s saying it’s running @4.7Ghz on 52-54c before computer starts & then shuts down straight away. Unfortunately I didn’t know that an update would stop the cpu working but what baffles me is this gigabyte board does not support the 9590 off the bat but has done @4Ghz. So, it shouldn’t of worked at all but did. I’m just hoping I can downgrade it first, if not, then I’ll try the 8350 & if that doesn’t work, I’m 3 months without gaming😭 until ryzen 9 😃

It's not a question about PSU but VRM on the motherboard. You could feed it from a nuclear plant and VRM still won't be able to transfer it to CPU.

Solution