Question G-Sense Error Rate Question

Nov 25, 2021
I know that shock and vibration are the reasons why there is G-Sense Error Rate, but my question is that does it occur only when HDD is in use or in operation or even not in use? For example my external HDD is just sitting peacefully inside my cabinet (not in use) then when I open and close my cabinet to get my other stuff it creates small vibration, does G-Sense Error Rate sense that vibration?

Here is where I keep my external HDDs.

View: https://imgur.com/a/mYp3Hop

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
If the device is not in operation everything is in an idle state, i.e, the head is parked. The sensor's warning will go off if the drive has a faulty head due to it being tossed around in shipping or if the drive's head isn't idle when you're not reading data off of it.

You're over thinking this, the drives are fine. Also, make sure your critical information is backed up. You get warranty on the drive, not the data that's on/in the drive.

Reactions: Danvic
Nov 25, 2021
If the device is not in operation everything is in an idle state, i.e, the head is parked. The sensor's warning will go off if the drive has a faulty head due to it being tossed around in shipping or if the drive's head isn't idle when you're not reading data off of it.

You're over thinking this, the drives are fine. Also, make sure your critical information is backed up. You get warranty on the drive, not the data that's on/in the drive.
Thanks for the info! 🙂

I guess I'm being so paranoid maybe because sometimes I bang the cabinet door without realizing that my external HDDs are inside of it.