News G.Skill Allegedly Preps Non-Binary 24GB DDR5-6000 AMD EXPO Modules

Jun 3, 2023
It appears to just mean different sized memory chips, so you can have 12 or 24 GB modules.
Great that they put it at the absolute end of the article. Failed to mention why manufacturer don't produce non-binary modules.

At first I thought G-Skill somehow uses hexadecimal or something crazy/weird.

Does TMHW not have a chief editor? o_O

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it is kind of odd simply because we're so used to multiple of 2. i do wonder myself if there is some kind of manufacturing reason to do it. maybe the layering does not lend itself to multiples of 2 so it goes with a different multiple???

There's no real reason why manufacturers need to make memory modules in powers of 2. It may simply be for cost reasons or there's some other application for it that doesn't allow for as much memory density.

I noticed a lot of the 24/48/96 Gbit memory chips at a supplier were for automotive applications, suggesting they're made to different tolerances in some way.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
It is Binary in a sense.

NOTE: I'm using the IEC version of Data Size Prefixes.

Remember that the base 1 Gibi-Byte (GiB) = 8 Gibi-bit (Gib)
So as you scale up the # of GiB, remember that the actual Gib value is always a power of 2.

What you're listing for brevity is just the simpler value to read/list.

It's easier to list 1 GiB, 2 GiB, 3 GiB DRAM Packages than to list 8 Gib, 16 Gib, 24 Gib.
Especially for Normies to understand.

Moving forward into the future, it'll eventually get to 3-digit ### Gib very fast.
(e.g. 16 GiB = 128 Gib)

It's just easier to stick with GiB since we're well into the Gibi-Byte era for DRAM Packages.

And it's easier to increment by 1 with 1 GiB, 2 GiB, 3 GiB, 4 GiB, etc.