News G.Skill Announces Bleeding Edge DDR5-8200 48GB Kit

phazeshifta

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
This isn't a kit meant to run on that 90% of boards though. This is meant for the best computers, not your mom's web browsing box.

If you want to get RAM for that 90% of boards, you have plenty of other options...and that's just fine.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
What's with DDR5 using these odd kits of 24 and 48GB? I've been seeing this with various kits. Are traditional 8, 16, 32, 64 dead in favor of 24, 48, 96 (perspectively)?

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
This isn't a kit meant to run on that 90% of boards though. This is meant for the best computers, not your mom's web browsing box.

If you want to get RAM for that 90% of boards, you have plenty of other options...and that's just fine.

Going from Asus's web site the ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero does not support 8400MT/s either.

4 x DIMM, Max. 192GB, DDR5 7800+(OC)/7600(OC)/7400(OC)/7200(OC)/7000(OC)/6800(OC)/6600(OC)/6400(OC)/ 6200(OC)/ 6000(OC)/ 5800(OC)/ 5600/ 5400/ 5200/ 5000/ 4800MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory*

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
What's with DDR5 using these odd kits of 24 and 48GB? I've been seeing this with various kits.
It's just that the DDR5 standard added support for these half-steps. Maybe it was done out of concern that DRAM density improvements are starting to plateau?

Are traditional 8, 16, 32, 64 dead in favor of 24, 48, 96 (perspectively)?
I don't know why these high-speed kits are using those sizes, but for those limited to single-rank then 24 GB DIMMs are more attractive than the alternative of 16 GB DIMMs. Given the top $ these will cost, I guess that's meant to be an added benefit. Or, maybe it's just that the half-step die sizes are the latest generation, and therefore best-clocking?

Reactions: SyCoREAPER

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
It's just that the DDR5 standard added support for these half-steps. Maybe it was done out of concern that DRAM density improvements are starting to plateau?

I don't know why these high-speed kits are using those sizes, but for those limited to single-rank then 24 GB DIMMs are more attractive than the alternative of 16 GB DIMMs. Given the top $ these will cost, I guess that's meant to be an added benefit. Or, maybe it's just that the half-step die sizes are the latest generation, and therefore best-clocking?
Fianlly, someone answered, thanks. I was surprised to see that more weren't curious about it. Best info so far, thank you.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Fianlly, someone answered, thanks. I was surprised to see that more weren't curious about it. Best info so far, thank you.
Here is a graphic that illustrates the plateau in DRAM density that I mentioned.

63rBLcku2W4Tx77bD3upKD.jpg

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/3d-x-dram-roadmap-1tb-die-density-by-2030

The "extension" part is using a new 3D X-DRAM technology just announced by a company called Neo Semiconductor.

Reactions: SyCoREAPER
The "extension" part is using a new 3D X-DRAM technology just announced by a company called Neo Semiconductor.
which still can take nosedive if nobody will use it, announced doesnt mean it will be available for consumers, there are many memory technologies announced superior to ddr and yet we are still on ddr several years later

3d stacked ram has been in work for few years already, hbm pretty much kills competition, but ye if something better pops up, why not if it wont cost you leg and kidney

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
which still can take nosedive if nobody will use it, announced doesnt mean it will be available for consumers, there are many memory technologies announced superior to ddr and yet we are still on ddr several years later
Hopefully, NEO won't be as greedy as Rambus. It would be especially nice if someone found an alternate way to do 3D DRAM, and then NEO had to license its tech on the cheap, rather than at a price that makes it virtually uninteresting to DRAM makers.