G.SKILL ARES RAM and MB Compatibility Questions and Confusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Hopefully, this or these questions will be easy enough for someone to answer. I'm confused.

The situation: I bought all the parts to build a new computer. I'm concerned about the G.Skill RAM modules I bought from Newegg, after reading on THG that is was recommended. (Sorry. Can't remember the exact link to that "build" URL).

The RAM I purchased is:
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C8D-8GAB
Newegg link to it on Newegg (below):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231548&Tpk=N82E16820231548

The MB I purchased is:
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg link to it on Newegg (below):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

Question #1. I have to mention that the ASRock website, or maybe it was the G.Skill site does -not- have this particular RAM listed in its "Compatibility List." That gives me some cause to worry. The RAM may be compatible with my Intel CPU, but I don't find that it's compatible with the ASRock MB. Is it compatible, or not?

Question #2. The package I received from Newegg contains 2 strips of RAM, and the labels on EACH strip say the following:

F3-1600CID-8GAB
DDR3 1600 CL8-8-8-24 1.5V
==>> PC3-12800 4Gx2 Intel XMP Ready

It's that last line that I'm confused about, where it says: (4Gx2). To me, that implies 2 x 4GB's (equivalent to 8GB's) ON EACH STRIP OF RAM, since the labels on each of the 2 strips in the package have the same info on each label. I remember that over the years, each single RAM module was labled to indicate how much RAM -it- was (the amount on that single strip). According to these labels, 2x4GB's x 2 modules = 16GB's RAM -- not 8GB's! Have I lost all my marbles, reading too much into something that I shouldn't?

This may seem like a dumb question to most of you, but I'm merely trying to learn and to avoid problems with my new build. I'm hoping for a very quick reply, since I'm ready now to start assembling.

NOTE: 5 minutes after I posted this I noticed that there is a separate forum for GSKILL. Sorry about that. Move it please, if you need to.

Solution
1 should not be a problem with the amount of memory on the market they will newer test except just a little bit of what is available. The main thing is your modules are 1.5volts as specified for the Intel platform.
2 It is most likely that it is to identify them to a 8GB dual channel package that is 2x 4GB which they are, you are just reading to much into it.
1 should not be a problem with the amount of memory on the market they will newer test except just a little bit of what is available. The main thing is your modules are 1.5volts as specified for the Intel platform.
2 It is most likely that it is to identify them to a 8GB dual channel package that is 2x 4GB which they are, you are just reading to much into it.

Solution

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

Thanks, rolli59! I'll mark your reply as 'Best Answer,' but I still don't see why they couldn't have clarified their labels appropriately. Then, old farts like me who are "literal-thinkers" wouldn't get so confused! LOL. I guess they expect us to ponder over what they are selling, instead of just telling us outright? I still think the labels ought to be marked individually as to what each one -really- is. Finding just one of those in a drawer someday, you'd never know that it was a 4GB module instead of an 8GB module (as the label indicates)!

Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.