G.Skill F4- 2666C16Q2- 64GRB DDR4-2666 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
whoa, the price of those ddr4 sticks is still crazy high. For that price you can get the mighty 5960x and even if those 8 cores are "worth it" you better make a lot of money with the work you do on your computer.

oh and your login system for forums and article comments is still pretty much broken

henrik5150

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
I'd stay with ddr3 cuz the price, but alas, the new haswell-e mb requires ddr4!! Darn the price of technology!!!

Once again, no bench on games at 4k... it would tells a lot about something almost nobody know.

We don`t really know what is the real impact of CPU and memory at UHD. Toms, just jump on the bandwaggon.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I've replaced my current G.Skill 64GB DDR3 kit 4 times. They start to die about 9 months in.

I also see a decline in quality of many materials in new stocks of ram and hard disk drives and graphic cards! I think this is worthy enough for a research/article from Tom's.

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Quality on hardware has been in decline for the last 5 years at least. There are 3 issues that I encounter every day at work on a global scale:
1) Some hardware producers rush their products and they come buggy (engineering issues), then they have to re-adjust their production chains, they will change a component by a new component, .. etc this happens all the time.
2) There are in any hardware quality issues that companies do not talk about. For memories there has been BIG BIG issues and some memories will get killed over time, it is a defective conception product, I've seen it and customers are not informed about that of course.
3) The global commodity suppliers, they want always more for less money, so the Chinese will cut down on quality, and you get worse products.
This shit has been going on since the recession. Everybody wants to cut down on cost, and consumers get bad products in the end.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Wake me up when DDR4 actually shows an improvement. I have a set of (2) 8GB ddr3 modules that run at the same speed as those sticks.. just more volts.

I would like to see a power comparison but unfortunately it does not seem possible considering the difference between platforms.

iamacow

Admirable
funny how I bought G.Skill 64gb kit for $500 3 years ago and now 64gb kits costs $700 for DDR3 and $900+ for DDR4. What happened? I'm waiting for 128gb kits to drop below $1,000 before switching to 2011v3

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

Well, it has the lifetime warranty but in 30 some odd years of playing with computers I’ve never had bad RAM like this. I even got a spare 8GB stick to use when sending the 64GB kit back. The kit was like $600 when I got it and has been a totally lemon. :(

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Tanquen writes:
> I've replaced my current G.Skill 64GB DDR3 kit 4 times. They start to die about 9 months in.

I've used several TridentX kits setup as 64GB total in X79 boards, with CPUs
typically at 4.7 or 4.8, no problems at all so far after several years in some cases.
Luck of the draw perhaps, who knows. Could be the mbd & CPU make a difference
as to what happens to the RAM over time; someone at Intel told me this can be
an issue with certain mbds & how the maker has chosen to implement RAM setups.

Ian.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, like that's going to work in an X99 motherboard.
Even if you're willing to settle for X79 instead of X99, I seriously doubt your DDR3-3000 kit has 64 GB. And 64 GB is the point of this kit. Once you say 64 GB, a 2666 data rate sound much better than average.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The benefit of DDR4 is that you can use it on an X99 motherboard. We can all second-guess Intel for making the switch, but that doesn't get us anywhere since there are no boards that can use both.

Intel's primary reason was apparently lower voltage. DRAM manufacturers will give you a longer list of stuff about manufacturing process and scalability, but in reality users are left with "You NEED DDR4 if you have X99".

There are specific improvements with DDR4 and the X99 platform. Those important differences and changes do not appeal directly for personal use and gaming. Make no mistake, the Z97 and DDR3 is the best gaming option on the market. X99 and DDR4 is for power users and professionals that may need maximum throughput. By using X99 and DDR4 for gaming, there will not be a significant improvement in performance, but it is not to say the two platforms are equal. Games are designed with current/previous technology. Technology moves much faster so games can not take full advantage of the latest computing power.

Status
Not open for further replies.