G.Skill F4- 2666C16Q2- 64GRB DDR4-2666 Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
To the GSkill rep, Z97 being the 'best' may only apply for single GPU use. X79 still has a heck of a lot of grunt to it for SLI/CF.
Got any test examples that can show a Z97 setup beating my 3930K/4.8 2x980 config? And for those wanting 3+ GPUs, Z97
is definitely not best; plenty of gamers with multiple monitors using 2 to 3 GPUs (whether AMD or NVIDIA), for which using Z97
means PCIe lane tradeoffs for storage vs. gfx, etc., while for many Z97 boards it's not possible at all if no PLEX chip is present.
Not an issue with X79.

I'm just annoyed that RAM prices have skyrocketed so much in the last 2 years, IMO purely to make initial DDR4 pricing for
the early adopters look less insane. A 2x4GB GSkill DDR3/2133 CL9 kit is currently 50% more expensive than when I was
buying many of them in early 2013; the price atm is such that I won't buy new RAM at all unless I really have to. Killing your
own potential sales really. If you want X99 to take off, drop the RAM pricing to a level at which we all know it's perfectly
capable of being.

Other than that though, GSkill roolz. :D

Ian.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There appears to be a big problem in the response thread of readers comparing the price of this 64GB kit to their own 16 GB kit. Try multiplying this by 4:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231677

Suddenly you're only looking at a 25% price premium on DDR4, where 2% of that is a fee for validating eight DIMMs together. Not great, but not as terrible as some have said.

As for the 16GRB, it's part of the model number. I wrote a far longer title, without the spaces in the model number.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I'll wait till they work out the bugs in DDR4 and for the 16GB modules before I upgrade. Been stuck on the 8GB per module for ever and thought we be up to 32GB modules by now. Also I bought my 32GB 4stick kit at $150 a few years ago and now its like over 2 times the price.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
"drop the RAM pricing to a level at which we all know it's perfectly capable of being." Obviously not, as one of the reasons for higher prices is bankruptcy of Elpida as they could not stay afloat at those levels. Other makers were found to illegally fixing prices a year or two before. Without that, prices then would be even lower, as the makers and suppliers were having more chips in stock than they could sell. Now the supply is artificially lower than demand.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
We need 16 Gig modules. For those that say we don't utilize that much for the need, I raise you "if you build it they will come". Once it becomes a standard and a large portion of machine are coupled with high amounts of RAM the uses for it will come.

David3300

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
Why are you people with non-x99 boards even chiming in? This will not even effect you until you have a board capable of even handling dd4. Sheesh!

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
We need 16 Gig modules. For those that say we don't utilize that much for the need, I raise you "if you build it they will come". Once it becomes a standard and a large portion of machine are coupled with high amounts of RAM the uses for it will come.
yeah well production of 8Gb layer chip is still not in mass production. Mobile (phones and tablets...) will get it first, then we'll see first DDR4 for desktop, laptops, servers and other niches. I bet no ddr3 8Gb will be announced for desktop users. And even if they did that, no desktop platform today will support that.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Sorry buy I don't buy that notion. It's merely the spin put out by the companies themselves. I've seen the same
sort of price increases before & after new SSD launches to carefully control stock levels, etc. Ditto GPUs. With
RAM though, the changes are larger and much more blatant, but nobody seems to care.

The timing of the pricing changes doesn't match events surrounding the loss of certain companies. It's been
know for years that, just like the diamond market, RAM makers try to control supply in order to influence pricing.
It's like a flash version of OPEC. The only thing worse is actually believing the spin they put out.

Ian.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Because some desire to comment on or maker wider points that are still relevant.

Ian.

You're right Ian, I meant for most gamers with single GPU/monitor. Of course extreme gamers and professionals with multi-SLI/CF will need quad channel set up. It's a matter of being able to take advantage of the system's full capabilities to recognize the difference between platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.