G.Skill Outs Trident Z, Ripjaws V DDR4 Memory Kits For Next-Gen Intel Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
So just to be sure, will currently available DDR4 kits work with Skylake, or will Skylake require special "Skylake Compatible" DDR4 memory? The title of the article suggests you need a certain type of DDR4.

I plan to start a Skylake build once the processors become available, but don't want to get surprised if I get the "wrong" DDR4 memory.

tom10167

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
So just to be sure, will currently available DDR4 kits work with Skylake, or will Skylake require special "Skylake Compatible" DDR4 memory? The title of the article suggests you need a certain type of DDR4.

I plan to start a Skylake build once the processors become available, but don't want to get surprised if I get the "wrong" DDR4 memory.

It's all marketing crap, like "Windows 8.1 certified" PSUs and whatever else. Skylake will take whatever DDR4 you can throw it at it, no need to spend $15/GB on TRIDENT Z MEMORY

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

It's all marketing crap, like "Windows 8.1 certified" PSUs and whatever else. Skylake will take whatever DDR4 you can throw it at it, no need to spend $15/GB on TRIDENT Z MEMORY

No need...other than those heatsinks, damn!

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
I'm digging the non-symmetric look of the TridentZ.

Ripjaws4 was their first batch of DDR4 for the series, but now RipjawsV (five) is still DDR4 ? Shouldn't they have waited for DDR5 or newer architecture first, and just called these Ripjaws4.2 or something? Food for thought.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I'm digging the non-symmetric look of the TridentZ.

Ripjaws4 was their first batch of DDR4 for the series, but now RipjawsV (five) is still DDR4 ? Shouldn't they have waited for DDR5 or newer architecture first, and just called these Ripjaws4.2 or something? Food for thought.

Ripjaws V not 5. Just like Ripjaws X wasn't 10. Also food for thought, I hate the name, and to a lesser extent, the look of Ripjaws memory. I think nongamers like me along with nonviolent gamers will agree. G.Skill might want to think of people like us, since we still love high performance.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Loving the look of those sticks, too bad DDR4 is still far away from mainstream.

its not really, the price premium on 16gb i believe is between 20 and 30$ of ddr3, at least for me thats not a big enough gap to worry about when building a full system.

Building a DDR4 system is costly part, not the ram.

Lutfij

Titan
Hmmm, they finally decided to launch the kit after Computex. We are yet to see if they opted for a dual sided/color approach as the Computex video did state G.Skill were testing the waters to see if people liked the dual colored brushed aluminium finish.

No doubt they will look awesome on an itx board or in an X99 system!

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Right, but DDR4 will do 2133Mhz at 1.35v.

That's the advantage.

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

I also dislike their series name and naming convention... What happened to Performance and ECO series?

I think RipjawsX was for XMP support. RipjawsZ might have been for quad channel support... but I'm not sure how that was supposed to be clear with a 'Z' on the end. And then there's Ripjaws4 with DDR4 architecture. RipjawsV... with ... with ... I have no f-ing idea.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

remember, ddr4 use to cost 2-4 times as much as ddr3, it was easily the most expensive part for the computer unless you got the 8 core cpu,

if i remember right, next intel line is ddr4 and amds zen is also ddr4 but i dont know if it will also work with ddr3 too.

Lutfij

Titan
alidan,
As with all the latest tech, things cost alot at first but when demand increases alongside a sharp increase in supply then you can see favorable prices for he masses. Similar examples are:
1| SSD's costing less than they were per GB a few years ago
2| DDR3 being technically dirt cheap with blazing frequencies

Mainstream Z chipset boards will offer DDR4 support paired with the already existing X99 paltform's support for DDR4 ram but AMD's flavor of DDR4 boards are yet to be heard of as they are technically focusing more on their APU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.