Question G.SKILL Ripjaws V F4-4000C18D-32GVK incompatible with Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX DDR4?

weiya_

Honorable
Jan 29, 2017
Hello,

I recently bought a new PC with a 13700 coupled with an Aorus Elite AX DDR4 on a Samsung 980+3GB generic HDD and a 7900XT. I did a memcheck with my old 3200MHZ Corsair RAM sticks and the test came out negative, which is why XMP likely didn't work on this new PC so I replaced them with the sticks in the title. When I tried to boot my PC up with both sticks installed, the PC would have no signal and the restart after a few minutes of idling. I tried using only one RAM stick, tried both in slot1 thinking maybe one of the sticks were DOA, tried different slots too but that was not the case. Reseated my old faulty Corsair sticks and the PC would boot up just fine.

Unfortunately, it's not in the QVL list (only the 4x8 version is) so I thought this may be an issue, but then I wondered why the PC wouldn't at least boot up with the RAM since XMP doesn't get activated automatically. I thought I could at least run them with a different config.

Should I just return the sticks or is there something I'm missing for installing new RAM? Maybe CMOS clearing (wasn't needed before, but may give it a try if it can help) or maybe a firmware update for my mobo? I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for the help in advice, cheers.

CPU: 13700k running at stock settings
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX DDR4
Ram:G.SKILL Ripjaws V F4-4000C18D-32GVK 2x16GB
SSD/HDD:Samsung 980 m2
GPU:AMD RX 7900 XT
PSU:EVGA GQ 1000W
Chassis:Corsair 4000D
Monitor: Acer Predator 165HZ 1440p G-sync IPS/Samsung generic TNA 1080 60 panel

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Noted!
Rams populating slots A2 and B2?

Your board has a QFLASH_PLUS button, try and flash the board to the latest BIOS version, then clear the CMOS after verifying that the BIOS was flashed successfully and see if that aids your predicament.

my old 3200MHZ Corsair RAM sticks
Link to the ram used?

weiya_

Honorable
Jan 29, 2017
Noted!
Rams populating slots A2 and B2?

Your board has a QFLASH_PLUS button, try and flash the board to the latest BIOS version, then clear the CMOS after verifying that the BIOS was flashed successfully and see if that aids your predicament.

my old 3200MHZ Corsair RAM sticks
Link to the ram used?

Rams are populated in 1-2-3 (using 24gigs), with 1 I mean the ram slot the furthest away from the CPU cooler, they were in 1-3-4 before. The new sticks I tried out in 1-3 and 1-2, then I tried a single stick in slot 1 and 2 and repeated the process for my 2nd stick, trying to detect possible out of the box RAM failure. I was also thinking that maybe the slots were not ok, maybe some dirt got inside but clearly I'm back on my old RAM and posting from that PC, so that's not the issue.

The old (and now back in my PC) RAM is the Corsair Vengeance LPX DIMM 8GB, DDR4-3200, CL16-18-18-36, link below.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I checked the bios firmware release notes and the only update they had added a functionality irrelevant to my cause, I'll give that a go, guess there's not much to lose except a few minutes of time.

Last edited:

weiya_

Honorable
Jan 29, 2017
I tired the mobo update, but all it did was give me an option for a perf mode once I got my old RAM sticks back. When I installed my Ripjaws, the screen was still black. I honestly don't know what's wrong, I never assumed I was dumb enough to install ram kits wrongly lol. What the hell is wrong with me? How is is possible that a ram kit would give me a black screen and eternal reboot on POST? I've been a PC user for over 25 years and I can't recall a single instance where installing RAM was the hardest thing of all. I just don't get it. Slot 1-2-3-4, nothing works. I'll just try to reflash the bios again I guess. I'm feeling really pathetic. Imagine being a PC enthusiast with modern hardware and unable to install a new set of RAM correctly. I'm legitimately ashamed of myself. It should at least boot up with 2133 MHZ mode like any other DDR4 stick and give me the option to turn on XMP, change timings etc.

Sorry about that self-abasing comment, but I'm really frustrated. This was supposed to be a 5 minute task that was done and over the minute I got my hands on the RAM sticks.

Unless there's really huge compatibility issues and the 4ghz version just doesn't work on my mobo? I have no idea what to do.