[SOLVED] G.skill ripjaws v series vs Flare X

dslatsh

Honorable
Jun 14, 2014
Hello....I have a asrock taichi x370 with the Ryzen 1700....I was looking to upgrade my ram speed from 2400 to 3200+...looking at the support of asrock seems like it won't go higher than 3446....I was wondering if there is any reason I should purchase the Flare x 3200 vs the ripjaws v series 3600, which is listed as compatible ram on asrocks site for summit ridge)....the flares are around 125 while the v series is 84.....I know it won't run at 3600 most likely but if i get at least 3200 i'd be happy.

Also on a side note I see there are some bios updates for the x370 taichi board but it lists downloading some AMD all in one? And also some other features for other ryzen cpus/apus etc......I cannot remember my current bios number right now wanna say possibly 4.4 or 4.7 (not home right now to check)

Solution
The reason the FLAREX 3200/14-14-14 are more expensive is because they are Samsung B ICs and will have lower latency than the RIPJAWSV/16-19-19 which are Hynix D ICs. The reason is because the refresh charge timing can be much shorter on the Samsung B ICs. The RIPJAWV/16-16-16 are also Samsung B ICs and that's why they are more expensive. Not worth it. You can get the 32GB (4x8) kit of the Hynix version for nearly the same price as the Samsung version, and since it will then be dual rank, it will make up for the latency penalty with rank interleaving, besides having twice as much RAM.

Don't go by the QVL on the X370 Taichi. It's outdated and was worthless even when it was up to date. Plenty of people are overclocking RAM at 3600+ on...
Hello....I have a asrock taichi x370 with the Ryzen 1700....I was looking to upgrade my ram speed from 2400 to 3200+...looking at the support of asrock seems like it won't go higher than 3446....I was wondering if there is any reason I should purchase the Flare x 3200 vs the ripjaws v series 3600, which is listed as compatible ram on asrocks site for summit ridge)....the flares are around 125 while the v series is 84.....I know it won't run at 3600 most likely but if i get at least 3200 i'd be happy.

Also on a side note I see there are some bios updates for the x370 taichi board but it lists downloading some AMD all in one? And also some other features for other ryzen cpus/apus etc......I cannot remember my current bios number right now wanna say possibly 4.4 or 4.7 (not home right now to check)
Small question what’s the CL timings for both? Because the 3600 set being cheaper is weird

If you want to be absolutely sure about compatibility, get a memory kit on that motherboard's QVL. I would go for the ripjaw v as well.

Sometimes bundled softwares get a version upgrade when only one part of the bundle gets updated. Maybe check inside the software package and see if the BIOS file inside is newer.

dslatsh

Honorable
Jun 14, 2014
Small question what’s the CL timings for both? Because the 3600 set being cheaper is weird
cas is 16, 16-19-19-39 for the v series.

However when looking at the motherboard qvl sheet it states F4-3600C16D-16GVK when looked up on newegg its 129.99 with a cas of 16, 16-16-16-36

....not sure what difference is between those and F4-3600C16D-16GVKC which are the ones for 84?

14 for the flares 14-14-14-34 ....difference is the flares are "AMD Ryzen Compatible"

Think if i recall that means they are using the same Samsung chip for each chip on the ram vs where when you buy ram it can be different chips?

cas is 16, 16-19-19-39 for the v series.

However when looking at the motherboard qvl sheet it states F4-3600C16D-16GVK when looked up on newegg its 129.99 with a cas of 16, 16-16-16-36

....not sure what difference is between those and F4-3600C16D-16GVKC which are the ones for 84?

14 for the flares 14-14-14-34 ....difference is the flares are "AMD Ryzen Compatible"

Think if i recall that means they are using the same Samsung chip for each chip on the ram vs where when you buy ram it can be different chips?
Ah they’re CL14 that’s why they’re expensive, either should be fine

Every motherboard and cpu is different...but my own experience with the FlareX has been excellent. It runs completely stable @ cas14 timings and will also do 3600 @ cas16 without any problems at 1.35v.

I ended up buying a second FlareX 2x8gig set so I'm running 4x8 32gig at this point and it's been flawless.

dslatsh

Honorable
Jun 14, 2014
see my specs i use the flare x with axmp on i gain speed on my cpu from 3200 to 3400 without any leveling of voltages on cpu or ram .

You're saying that your cpu speed increased using the flares? or you overclocked your cpu with 200 MHz without requiring any additional voltage? you using flare xs that are 3200?

The reason the FLAREX 3200/14-14-14 are more expensive is because they are Samsung B ICs and will have lower latency than the RIPJAWSV/16-19-19 which are Hynix D ICs. The reason is because the refresh charge timing can be much shorter on the Samsung B ICs. The RIPJAWV/16-16-16 are also Samsung B ICs and that's why they are more expensive. Not worth it. You can get the 32GB (4x8) kit of the Hynix version for nearly the same price as the Samsung version, and since it will then be dual rank, it will make up for the latency penalty with rank interleaving, besides having twice as much RAM.

Don't go by the QVL on the X370 Taichi. It's outdated and was worthless even when it was up to date. Plenty of people are overclocking RAM at 3600+ on that board.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-...7-asrock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread.html

That's still a hell of a motherboard and I wish I could get my hands on one for a reasonable price.

Solution

dslatsh

Honorable
Jun 14, 2014

Don't go by the QVL on the X370 Taichi. It's outdated and was worthless even when it was up to date. Plenty of people are overclocking RAM at 3600+ on that board.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-...7-asrock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread.html

That's still a hell of a motherboard and I wish I could get my hands on one for a reasonable price.

I see....when you say dual ranked are you talking about dual channel? Such as two sticks become dual channeled for amd? Where intel has quad channels on some boards.

I see....when you say dual ranked are you talking about dual channel? Such as two sticks become dual channeled for amd? Where intel has quad channels on some boards.

Ranks and channels are two entirely different things.

Ranks are how the ICs are organized on a single DIMM, and right now most of the 8GB DDR4 single DIMMs are single rank, while most of the 16GB single DIMMs are dual rank. This changes as ICs get more dense and then it becomes cheaper to make single rank 16GB sticks of RAM, ect.

Channels refers to memory channels of the memory controller. Ryzen is dual channel. Threadripper is quad channel. Epyc is eight channel, ect. You get more bandwidth if all of your channels have at least 1 DIMM. Most boards have 2 DIMM slots per channel except the smaller boards that have 1 per channel.

Your motherboard's slots are wired either in serial (daisy chain) or parallel (t-topology). The former works best with 2 sticks and the latter can do 4 equally as far as signal strength.

2 ranks per channel gives a little more performance than 1 rank per channel but id also harder on the memory controller so sometimes it's more difficult to overclock.

X370 Taichi is T-topology so all the more reason to buy a 4x8GB kit.

Where in that link you posted show someone hitting 3600mhz with 4 sticks of RAM on a x370 chipset with a first gen Ryzen?

Where in that link you posted show someone hitting 3600mhz with 4 sticks of RAM on a x370 chipset with a first gen Ryzen?

Not 1st gen Ryzen but that board is capable if he upgrades later. There is even a guy in that thread running 3800CL14.

With that same kit and my first gen Ryzen I run 3466CL14 since higher than that just won't post. Trimmed the timings though to make up for it.

dslatsh

Honorable
Jun 14, 2014
Not 1st gen Ryzen but that board is capable if he upgrades later. There is even a guy in that thread running 3800CL14.

With that same kit and my first gen Ryzen I run 3466CL14 since higher than that just won't post. Trimmed the timings though to make up for it.

The ryzens are still A4 sockets meaning if I wanted to upgrade from the 1st gen i could get a 3700? (think that's how they were going 1700...2700..3700?) Although if i upgrade my cpu i'd probably end up getting a newer board for the chipset...

dslatsh

Honorable
Jun 14, 2014

Also the kit you're refering to is it the v series 32gb?

dslatsh

Honorable
Jun 14, 2014
So....if i don't really plan on upgrading the CPU with the same motherboard....feel like in the future I'd purchase a newer board for the new chipsets etc...what would be the best kit to go with for a 1700 ryzen? the 3200 flare...or 3600 32gb v series?

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
I have the RipJaws 16Gb (8x2) 3600C16D 16GVKC CL16-19-19-39 with a 2600x. I know the 2000 series can be a little more forgiving at higher frequencies so you may not get the same results, but after after using DRam Calculator. I found the G.Skill memory was capable of CL14 at 3200 and actually all the way up to 3400, although with slightly odd timings. CL14-18-19-28. The odd timings don't appear to affect performance much. I compared my benchmark results to those posted from others with more standard timings and they were very close.

Bob