G.Skill Sniper X 16GB DDR4-3600 C19 Dual-Channel Kit Review: Value in Camouflage

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcelo_vidal

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
I get a dual 1366 board new for 100 dollar and 1 dollar for two quad core cpus and with 60 dollar i will get 48gb ddr3 ecc. Why spend 200 dollar in 16gb of ram ?

Because you are comparing outdated server hardware to high end modern RAM?
There is literally no comparison here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There's always a strain of responses from people who either didn't notice the memory price inflation of 2017, or want us to assign the blame for that inflation to whatever model we're reviewing.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
I would love to see a more comprehensive version of this article. Something like a couple of Corsair Vengeances thrown in there as well as basic value RAM that most people buy.

I have done quite a bit of research on whether it is worth it to worry about RAM for gaming, and the answer is turned out to be a definite yes. The reason however is not a massive increase in max FPS. Only very few games like F1 2015 make a difference with faster RAM in these tests. But most games will make a difference in MIN FPS. At the time when there are explosions and other hectic things going on, often faster RAM will reduce the stutter by up to 30%. Many people know what I am talking about. Those pesky slowdowns is what I want to get rid of, and fast RAM does actually help with that apparently. It seems that one can definitely not go simply on MHz of the RAM. Thanks for the informative article. After seeing this article the Viper really caught my eye. It should be quite good at reducing MIN FPS stutter.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Since latency is the inverse of frequency, DDR4-3600 CAS 18, DDR4-3200 CAS 16, DDR4-2800 CAS 14, and DDR4-2400 CAS 12 all have the same real-time latency. When you're talking about latency-specific applications, it's best to keep in mind that your best performance will happen with the lowest real-time latency. If we use "Double the latency cycles and add two zeros" for the baseline data rate at any given latency group, this specific kit is slightly slower than the 3600-18 baseline at 3600-19, and gets no performance-specific recommendation. It's price competitively though.

Most people still need a calculator to determine that DDR4-3600 CAS 16 is going to be quicker than DDR4-2800 CAS 13. And while people with a good mind for proportion will automatically understand that 3600 CAS 19 is going to be quicker than 2800-15 (because the one extra cycle is a smaller portion of the total latency cycles), we have to keep in mind that not everyone has that mindset. Using "double-the-latency then add-two-zeros" as a baseline is a good method for people who don't want to bother with the calculator. Using that method for CAS 19, you'd expect DDR4-3800, and since it's DDR4-3600, you can think "it's slower than the performance-DRAM baseline".

Status
Not open for further replies.