G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-4000 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

heroictofu

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I'd like to see an article like this actually suggest programs/games/etc that could truly take advantage of higher memory bandwidth. They might be edge cases, but who knows, maybe there's some random game we've always enjoyed and never knew that RAM speed could make said game so much better. Or some application. Either way.

WE have been getting imperceptible improvements a few years now... We are still on 4 cores, even 2 in CPUs.
So... if game devs and hardware manufacturares dont want to improve, they wont get my cash :D.

McWhiskey

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
WE have been getting imperceptible improvements a few years now... We are still on 4 cores, even 2 in CPUs.
So... if game devs and hardware manufacturares dont want to improve, they wont get my cash :D.

Fully agreed. I finally took the plunge and bought a new system this Christmas. Tired q6600 ==> skylake i7 , 5770 crosfire ==> 980ti. ALL of my day to day activities take the same amount of time. I am in no way wowed by any of the general computing activities. Games went from high/ultra settings to full ultra. Now I'm adding sweetfx to games and trying to find something to really show off a return on my investment.

I'm happy to have some bragging rights and no reason to ask "but can I run it?" But largely I feel like I could have waited a bit longer.

For years we saw posts saying everything above 1600 was a waste because 3 benchmarks said so ... but as reviewers went beyond the surface and widened the testing, we saw that most games were GPU, limited, others were CPU limited and some (i.e. F1) were bandwidth limited. THG showed that 2400 was in fact 11% faster with 2400 in F1 as compared to 1600. And as it cost just $20 more for 2400 at the time, it was certainly an option worth considering.

So while I appreciate the effort here, as it does give a general idea of what might be expected, until I see a bit wider range of testing, including 2x/3x/4x SLI and minimum frame rates ... and including games known to to be impacted by RAM like F1... , as before, I don't think I'm ready to write off faster RAM as being totally useless.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I'd like to see an article like this actually suggest programs/games/etc that could truly take advantage of higher memory bandwidth. They might be edge cases, but who knows, maybe there's some random game we've always enjoyed and never knew that RAM speed could make said game so much better. Or some application. Either way.
That's exactly what Grid2 and Battlefield 4 were.....it didn't make a tangible difference at these levels.

I have not seen either of those affected by memory speed. If you want to see RAM impacts, three things required:

1. Use multiple graphics cards
2. measure minimum fps, not just average
3. Use games actually known to be affected by RAM speed / bandwidth like F1

image006.png

177 / 159 = 11.3% ... or about what you would get jumping from an nVidia x70 to an x80

heroictofu

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

That's not what I was getting at. I meant something along the lines of... maybe a game like Civ 5 or EVE Online, or some other less popular game where the higher memory bandwidth does show a tangible difference. As in to seek out a few hidden gems that can take advantage. Saying Grid2 and Battlefield 4 were those examples... That isn't at all what I was suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.