Question G.Skill Trident Z Lighting Control using 15-20% cpu increasing temps, is there a fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2019
Noticed today that after gaming, running benchmarks/stress tests that my individual cores were good, however package and cpu temps would not go back down and reflect the low temps of the cores in HWMonitor. I changed windows power setting to balanced, voltages stayed in the 1.2-1.37 range and still would not lower.

I moved onto task manager to see what was happening and I found that the mentioned software was eating up my cpu, I closed the software and boom issue resolved.

I would like the ability to control the colors on this ram (for the record I only purchased this kit trident z 32gig 2x16 because it was highest rated and best price on newegg) I dont so much care about having rgb but I would like the option if i choose. Are there any known fixes for this? Will it cause damage to the memory if i have to constantly open and close the program to re-write the color profile?

Note: this is not the only software I have issues with either - I can not run Corsair ICUE as it causes strange stuttering at all times. I can not find a solution to this problem either.

system specs -

i7 9700kf
NH D15s
RTX 2080
g.skill trident z rgb 32gb 2x16
z390 pro 4 mobo

it is the PowerSpec g433, but I made some minor changes with the cooler and RAM. All in all I am happy with the build, will eventually upgrade the mobo and psu but I figure I'll just run with them until I find they no longer suit their purpose.

Ralston18

Titan
My suggestion is to remove the G.Skill Trident Z Lighting Control app from Task Manager > Startup if the software is indeed being launched at startup.

Create a shortcut desktop icon for the software so you can easily launch the program when desired.

Change the settings, test, and close.

No harm to memory - multiple programs, apps, services, and processes are always opening and closing in the background, being stored and removed from memory. Mostly transparent unless one of them is buggy and, for example, does not release the memory it was using. After multiple uses - memory fills up and system performance suffers.

Same applies to the CPU - may be some loop that is left running and ties up the CPU cycles.

You may be able to discover the specific culprit via Task Manager, Resource Monitor, or Process Explorer. (You may need to download and install the latter.)

Sep 27, 2019
You may be able to discover the specific culprit via Task Manager, Resource Monitor, or Process Explorer. (You may need to download and install the latter.)

I used task manager, that is how i learned that the software was the culprit, it runs fine until i play a game, then the software begins to eat up cpu usage.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
What effect are you using ?
I haven't used the G.Skill software But I do use Asus Aura and I found that if I choose a static color then close the app it won't use any of the CPU.
But if I choose one of the effects (Breathing, Wave, Comet, Flash and Dash, etc, etc) lightservice.exe will use up to about 5% of my CPU.

What exact .exe does TridentZ Control software have running in Task Manager that is using so much of your CPU ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS