[SOLVED] G.Skill Trident Z RGB for Asus B450-f strix?

TheGoldenDonut

Reputable
May 30, 2015
Hi everyone. I'm currently upgrading my gaming PC and am planning to have a Ryzen 5 2600 (and "overclock" it no further than 3.9 Ghz using the available boost option), Asus ROG B450 strix, Gtx 780 (which I currently already have), and a 600w EVGA PSU (which I already have as well). Storage is not decided yet.

I wanted to have an RGB theme with this build and found this RAM last night (https://bit.ly/2DlM5hF) and it was on sale on Newegg for like $30 off so I made a quick purchase, probably a dumb thing...

Anyway I checked on PCPartPicker and everything is compatible, but I just noticed on Newegg it says the chipset is X370/X399. Does this really matter, or they just haven't updated it since the 400 series chipsets came out and it will still work with my motherboard?

I checked some builds people posted on PCPP using this same ram and B450's, so I assume it works but I just want to double check before it's too late to return.

And yes I know it's not 3000mhz, I don't really need that. My current build has an AMD Fx-6300, Asus m5a78l-m lx plus, and 8gb 1600mhz. I'm hoping this new build will be a nice upgrade.

Solution
F4-2400C15D-16GTZRX
The "X" on the end of the product description means it's Ryzen compatible \ optimized.

For a Ryzen setup which benefits from faster modules , I'd look for some 3000-3200.

TheGoldenDonut

Reputable
May 30, 2015

I know it's Ryzen compatible, I'm just wondering why it says x370 chipset instead of x470 or B450(which is the one I'm going to use).

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15d-16gtzrx

Optimized for the AMD Ryzen and AMD Ryzen Threadripper, the vibrance and performance of Trident Z RGB is now expanded to include the latest AMD platforms! Just look for the “X” at the end of the Trident Z RGB model numbers!

Newegg doesn't always update the compatibility specs and descriptions.

TheGoldenDonut

Reputable
May 30, 2015

Ahh, I didn't know you could look at the QVL on the actual RAM manufacturer's site. So I guess it was what I thought at first after all. They just haven't updated the title yet. Thanks!