Question G.Skill Trident Z RGB vs Trident Z RGB X?

are you taking about these
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gtzr
vs
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gtzrx

the second link are optimized for the AMD Ryzen, spec wise they are the same sticks. They may have changed the memory chips themselves to a known vender that works better on AMD boards, but kit size, speed, and CL#'s are the same. Seems AMD is a little picker the Intel when it comes to the memory chips, this is why each manufacture has a QVL for their board to make sure the ram works for that motherboard.

Last edited:

JoseMadrid

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
Seems AMD is a little picker the Intel when it comes to the memory chips, this is why each manufacture has a QVL for their board to make sure the ram works for that motherboard.
Yeah i know all that story of Ryzen and memory. Anyway i understood that those normal Trident z were already ok enough for Ryzen or at least for the board Asus x470 prime pro, which is the board i have on mind... but i guess it would be even better to go for the Trident Z X? even maybe overclock reasons included, and all the rest?

Last edited:
Like i said they are the same sticks spec wise, both 3200Mhz 2x8GB cl16. the difference might be in who makes the memory chip, Micron, Samsung, or Hynix. AMD might only work with 2 of the chip vendors where intel can use all 3, i dont know.

I would check the motherboards Quality vendor list to see which kit is supported, if both then go with the cheaper of the two if you want.

Im not sure what G.skill means when they say "optimized for the AMD Ryzen"

Reactions: JoseMadrid

JoseMadrid

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
Like i said they are the same sticks spec wise, both 3200Mhz 2x8GB cl16. the difference might be in who makes the memory chip, Micron, Samsung, or Hynix. AMD might only work with 2 of the chip vendors where intel can use all 3, i dont know.

I would check the motherboards Quality vendor list to see which kit is supported, if both then go with the cheaper of the two if you want.

Im not sure what G.skill means when they say "optimized for the AMD Ryzen"
Ok man thanks for your help.