[SOLVED] G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4-3000 cannot work on new mobo at 3000

May 28, 2020
Hello I just bought the intel i5 10400 paired with Asus Tuf Gaming Z490 motherboard. After checking the motherboard's memory compatibility list I chose G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4-3000MHz (F4-3000C16D-16GTZR). However, RAM cannot work on 3000mhz but on 2800 maximum. I have installed the latest bios update, tried XMP1 and 2 with no success. Since the cpu and motherboard are new can you give me any solution to be able to make the RAM work on 3000?

Solution
I'm probably going to get called to work shortly, so here's what I can think of as of right now:

VCCIO & VCCSA try bumping each a few ticks over original voltage, no more than 1.15V on either, it shouldn't be needed for these frequencies.

Try yanking both sticks, only insert one in the second DIMM slot from the CPU and out.
Load XMP, see if it works. Try each stick solo. Might be a dud. Try different DIMM slots, for giggles.

VDIMM shouldn't need more than 1.45V and is already pretty high for these frequencies.

@Jay_dog I probably have to peace out shortly(work call), can you throw up ideas if I'm not here? Sorry, and thanks.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
I'm probably going to get called to work shortly, so here's what I can think of as of right now:

VCCIO & VCCSA try bumping each a few ticks over original voltage, no more than 1.15V on either, it shouldn't be needed for these frequencies.

Try yanking both sticks, only insert one in the second DIMM slot from the CPU and out.
Load XMP, see if it works. Try each stick solo. Might be a dud. Try different DIMM slots, for giggles.

VDIMM shouldn't need more than 1.45V and is already pretty high for these frequencies.

@Jay_dog I probably have to peace out shortly(work call), can you throw up ideas if I'm not here? Sorry, and thanks.

Solution
Open an incident with g.skil support.
ram faster than 2666 is technically overclocked ram.
The xmp setting is what gets you there.
With new motherboards, there is usually a period of frequent bios updated.
Many are ram compatibility issues.
The latest update came out 5/20