G.Skill vs Patriot Viper vs XMS3

PC_Plum

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
I can’t seem to find lots of reviews comparing DDR3 Memory triple kits. I almost finish my build but unfortunately the memory that I’ve ordered was out of stock (Corsair Dominator). Honestly, it’s a bit expensive but I’m just wondering if it’s worth going for a cheaper alternative. I use VMware and SQL Server for my work and convert videos.
My next question is I read about XMP memory, which according to the review it automatically set the BIOS to use the correct stock frequency of the memory. Is this true for all ddr3 memory? Another reason for asking this is that I read from forums that i7-920 use 1033(???1333) by default and will not be able to utilize the memory unless you overclocked it? Is this true?

here is my System specs:

Coolermaster HAF 932
Coolermaster 1250w
Core 17-920 D0
Asus GTX 295
640GB Caviar Black
LG-Blu-Ray
CoolerMaster V8
Rampage 2 Extreme

Should I stick with Dominator? If I do I can only buy 6GB if not I can stretch and afford 12GB.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Don't break the bank buying really expensive memory. Get the cheapest memory that runs at the frequency you want, the number of channels you want at the lowest timings with the lowest voltage, with the best warranty. OCZ, mushkin, corsair and crucial are the best brand-names.

You almost always have to set the BIOS to the warrented settings, ie voltage, timings, frequency above 1333mhz.

PC_Plum

Distinguished
May 2, 2009

I have no experience overclocking. Do I need to do this when I overclocked the CPU? I heard that EVGA Classified do a native 1600? Does this mean you don't have to overclocked the memory anymore?

Many Thanks.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
No mater how the memory is said to be rated, it will probably be running at lower timings/frequency unless you adjust it by yourself. I usually just take some memory with the lowest timings (you can push frequency as far as you want, you just set the timings according to it).

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I wouldn't say "you can push the frequency as far as you want". Higher frequencies are much more stressful then lower timings. I'd buy memory with higher frequencies and then lower the timings, not the other way around. You just have to manually make the settings in the BIOS, but that should be easy.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I have 2gb x 3 viper ram 1600, XMP works just fine on my MB.