Question G-sync and FPS cap question.

Oct 9, 2020
I have a 144hz a G-sync/Adaptive sync monitor but some games can get up to 250 fps so I wanted to ask few things.

1. Is it true that G-sync only works until you pass your max monitor supported refresh rate in this case 144fps?

2. Even if it worked past 144hz I don't want to use my CPU resources on frames I cannot even see so is it ok to cap my refresh rate at 144hz in nvidia control panel or is there a downside to this such as input latency?

G-sync does not work only after 144hz.

What g-sync does, is match the monitor hz, or the game fps. After 144hz, it does NOT work, or, well, no do anything.

Imagine it like this
say your monitor is 10hz, and you have 5 frames per second.

Yes, your monitor refreshes faster, but what if the 2 were not synced up?
The monitor would refresh, and keep a still image for 2 frames right? WRONG.
If the hz and fps are not synced up, It might sometimes put 3 frames, because Mid frame 1, the hz was waiting for an fps, then still waiting 2 frames later. when is 2 frames later? the middle of the 3rd frame, meaning it will only actually play the 2nd image on the 4th frame.

I'm not good at explaining this, but this is how it works.

Basically, it makes it so when your fps is lower than 144, your monitor's hz will also be that fps, so that input lag will not occur.

Going to more than 144fps is still better though.
Imagine that as the opposite of the explanation I gave, but the pc is not waiting to give the monitor frames, it refreshes them, making it so you have more "up to date" frames.

Say your monitor is 144hz, and you get 288fps.
Your monitor will only show half the frames, but every frame will be a newer one, with more detail and more current events.

Oct 9, 2020
G-sync does not work only after 144hz.

What g-sync does, is match the monitor hz, or the game fps. After 144hz, it does NOT work, or, well, no do anything.

Imagine it like this
say your monitor is 10hz, and you have 5 frames per second.

Yes, your monitor refreshes faster, but what if the 2 were not synced up?
The monitor would refresh, and keep a still image for 2 frames right? WRONG.
If the hz and fps are not synced up, It might sometimes put 3 frames, because Mid frame 1, the hz was waiting for an fps, then still waiting 2 frames later. when is 2 frames later? the middle of the 3rd frame, meaning it will only actually play the 2nd image on the 4th frame.

I'm not good at explaining this, but this is how it works.

Basically, it makes it so when your fps is lower than 144, your monitor's hz will also be that fps, so that input lag will not occur.

Going to more than 144fps is still better though.
Imagine that as the opposite of the explanation I gave, but the pc is not waiting to give the monitor frames, it refreshes them, making it so you have more "up to date" frames.

Say your monitor is 144hz, and you get 288fps.
Your monitor will only show half the frames, but every frame will be a newer one, with more detail and more current events.
Wait I'm confused, isn't G-sync suppose to remove tearing as long as you stay within your monitor supported refresh rate?? Meaning I would get tearing if I played at 200fps on a 144hz monitor, why would it be better to have my fps past the supported refresh rate? I was asking to use the FPS cap because I didn't want to go above 144fps and was wondering if the Nvidia fps cap gives any latency because of it.

Oct 9, 2020
My experience of G-Sync and 144Hz is G-Sync doesnt really add anything apart from lag once you are over about 80 fps. Why not experiment and see what you like. The claimed benefit of fps higher than your monitors refresh rate is lower latency.
G-sync is suppose to remove tearing from variable refresh rates without using high latency V-sync

G-sync is suppose to remove tearing from variable refresh rates without using high latency V-sync
That’s 1 of the things it does but it also improves the smoothness of moving images at lower FPS. I’ve got a 1440 144Hz monitor with G-Sync but I have G-Sync off. I set my games so I can get 120+ FPS. I never notice any tearing but I can notice a slight lag when G-Sync is on. I also have a laptop with 1080p 144Hz but no adaptive sync, again I set my games to get 120 FPS and again I don’t notice tearing.

That’s 1 of the things it does but it also improves the smoothness of moving images at lower FPS. I’ve got a 1440 144Hz monitor with G-Sync but I have G-Sync off. I set my games so I can get 120+ FPS. I never notice any tearing but I can notice a slight lag when G-Sync is on. I also have a laptop with 1080p 144Hz but no adaptive sync, again I set my games to get 120 FPS and again I don’t notice tearing.
G-sync reduces lag. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Wait I'm confused, isn't G-sync suppose to remove tearing as long as you stay within your monitor supported refresh rate?? Meaning I would get tearing if I played at 200fps on a 144hz monitor, why would it be better to have my fps past the supported refresh rate? I was asking to use the FPS cap because I didn't want to go above 144fps and was wondering if the Nvidia fps cap gives any latency because of it.
No.
It makes the refresh rate of the monitor sync with the computer's fps meaning less lag.

If your fps goes above the monitor's refresh rate, g-sync will stop doing anything and just let your fps go higher, which makes it so you have more up to date frames.

More frames is better, even if its above the monitor's refresh rate.

Try playing a game like csgo and lock the framerate to 144, then let it go to 300 and see for yourself.

No.
It makes the refresh rate of the monitor sync with the computer's fps meaning less lag.

If your fps goes above the monitor's refresh rate, g-sync will stop doing anything and just let your fps go higher, which makes it so you have more up to date frames.

Try playing a game like csgo and lock the framerate to 144, then let it go to 300 and see for yourself.
G-Sync does not reduce lag if you are getting high fps already, it adds lag. It uses a frame buffer to help synchronise the image to the monitor refresh, this buffer is holding that frame before releasing it. There are low latency modes which reduce the frame buffer but there is still a lag. From what I have read it can reduce lag when running FPS significantly lower than refresh rate but when FPS is higher that is not the case.

G-Sync does not reduce lag if you are getting high fps already, it adds lag. It uses a frame buffer to help synchronise the image to the monitor refresh, this buffer is holding that frame before releasing it. There are low latency modes which reduce the frame buffer but there is still a lag. From what I have read it can reduce lag when running FPS significantly lower than refresh rate but when FPS is higher that is not the case.
Did not know that.
But the point still stands, if you run higher than your monitor's refresh rate there g-sync doesn't do anything and lag is naturally reduced.

Oct 9, 2020

No.

But letting my FPS go to 300 will cause screen tearing correct? That's my issue with not locking my fps

TRENDING THREADS