[SOLVED] G-Sync and V-Sync on or off?

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hi,

I understand that your supposed to turn on V-sync and G-sync if your frames are high like over 100 FPS and your monitor is 60FPS.

But I am not sure on, do I have to enable V-sync/G-sync on my monitor, Nvidia and on my game all at once meaning I have 3 V-sync/G-sync enabled. As I can enable V-sync/G-sync on my monitor and game but do I need them all on at the same time or would this cause errors. Otherwise, is it best to disable Nvidia V-sync on Nvidia control panel and disable V-sync on my monitor and just keep V-sync on inside my game settings or vice versa? What’s the correct way of doing this to get full quality out of V-sync/G-sync?

Thanks all.

Solution
I understand that your supposed to turn on V-sync and G-sync if your frames are high like over 100 FPS and your monitor is 60FPS.
No, you can turn them on, because getting more FPS than what your monitor can display is wasted energy anyway since you can't see the additional frames, and the *sync smoothes out smaller hitches.
BUT you are not supposed to, it's your choice to figure out what looks best to you in each game.

do I need them all on at the same time or would this cause errors. Otherwise, is it best to disable Nvidia V-sync on Nvidia control panel and disable V-sync on my monitor and just keep V-sync on inside my game settings or vice versa?
Yes!
Any and all of these could happen.
Normally you should...
No, you can turn them on, because getting more FPS than what your monitor can display is wasted energy anyway since you can't see the additional frames, and the *sync smoothes out smaller hitches.
BUT you are not supposed to, it's your choice to figure out what looks best to you in each game.

do I need them all on at the same time or would this cause errors. Otherwise, is it best to disable Nvidia V-sync on Nvidia control panel and disable V-sync on my monitor and just keep V-sync on inside my game settings or vice versa?
Yes!
Normally you should have all enabled, and the software is smart enough to figure out which one to use if multiple are available.

Solution

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016

Yes!
Normally you should have all enabled, and the software is smart enough to figure out which one to use if multiple are available.

Ok thanks