Question G-Sync capabilities on older Nvidia hardware

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
I have a EVGA GTX 970 running driver version 442.74 (latest)
This card is listed as G-Sync capable but NOT FreeSync compatible.
I am thinking about purchasing a ASUS VG259Q 144hz monitor, which is listed as FreeSync capable, and noted as G-SYNC compatible by Nvidia: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Graphics card marketing language aside, will I be capable of observing frame rate output matching the adaptive refresh rate of the monitor I have selected?

GSync (with the module) and GSync Compatible are not the same thing. GSync Compatible = FreeSync.

GSync Compatible / FreeSync requires a GTX10xx series or newer GPU connected via DisplayPort.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend buying a "true" GSync monitor at this point. You're likely to want a new GPU soon with the transition to a 144Hz display, and "true" GSync has basically been abandoned.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
When Nvidia added support to their drivers to work with FreeSync, they only allowed it for the 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards, but none of the earlier ones.

@tennis2 is right, though - don't go looking for (and paying a premium for) a GSync monitor. FreeSync is the way to go, since both Nvidia (10- series and up) and AMD support FreeSync - GSync locks you into Nvidia cards only. And, with the new monitor, there's a good chance you're going to feel the itch for a GPU upgrade. The GTX 970 was a great card for its day, but these days, it will probably struggle a little with 1920x1080 to get 60 fps if the details are turned up.

Reactions: BlueCat57

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
If I'm reading this correctly, does this mean that I would not be able to observe FPS tied to an adaptive refresh rate monitor (in this case, a monitor with FreeSync and G-sync compatibility) with my current GPU hardware?

I currently game at 2560x1080 on modern titles like Battlefield 1 on high settings!

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
Ugh, bummer!

Now that sounds like a tall order; Running my rig at 1920x1080 and attempting to get 144fps on high settings on something like Battlefield 1. I've never had a 144hz monitor before, so I have no reference for how much more demand the GPU is under.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Ugh, bummer!

Now that sounds like a tall order; Running my rig at 1920x1080 and attempting to get 144fps on high settings on something like Battlefield 1. I've never had a 144hz monitor before, so I have no reference for how much more demand the GPU is under.
Ugh, bummer! Welcome to the world of "feature creep". On the brightside, your "problem" has answered MY question. I'm looking for an "affordable" monitor with "adaptive sync". All the G-sync (Beta video tape) are too expensive. The Freesync (VHS video tape) meet my "affordable" criteria of around $150 for a 27".

Hope you resolved your issue. If nothing else you have a great reason to buy a newer video card, but dang, it looks like the RTX 3080 might ship soon.