Question G-Sync causing random black screens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erik62905

Honorable
Jan 17, 2018
Hey all,

Recently (within the last month or so), one of my monitors has started randomly going black in various scenarios for 2-ish seconds. Only my primary display does this; my other two monitors stay on. Nothing else to do with my computer is affected by this issue. The game/application active in the blackness continues to run and I can continue to interact with it. The issue occurs regardless of whether the application is running in windowed or fullscreen. I do not use HDR. The display does not actually turn off judging by the fact that the status light stays on. I have seen other forum posts talking about the same issue--except they are much older posts.

Disabling G-SYNC is the only solution I've found.

I believe there are two potential causes for the issue. One makes more sense and the other is a bit of a stretch. I had been running on a few-month-old driver until about a month ago when I finally got around to updating. I believe my issue started after updating that driver; I did not connect the dots until recently. So, last week I updated my drivers to the latest version (527.56). This did not fix the issue. Next, I tried running DDU and reinstalling my drivers in safe mode. This didn't fix the issue either. The only other thing that I've changed with my setup was adding a third monitor to my setup around a month ago. Maybe something to do with this monitor is causing the issue? I have no idea.

Some troubleshooting I've tried:
  • The issue happens regardless of other applications being open in the background.
  • I've reset my monitor's settings
  • I've run DDU, as mentioned previously.
The issue appears most frequently on loading screens between games (joining lobbies, exiting to menu, etc.). However, Minecraft is the worst offender for this issue, as my screen frequently goes black in-game. It makes the game unplayable. This also (probably) rules out the issue being the GPU switching from 3D to 2D mode, as it is in 3D mode the entire time.

So, what's the play here? I'll definitely be trying out the next GPU driver whenever that releases, but is there anything I can try right now? Thank you all.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (latest BIOS)
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
Sabrent Rocket 1TB (Windows)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (games)
Ethernet connection via an eero Pro

Monitors:
Primary (problematic) monitor: ASUS ROG STRIX XG349C (connected via original DP cable)
Monitor 2 (the monitor I added around a month ago): Acer G247HYU (connected via DP)
Monitor 3: LG 29UM58-P (connected via HDMI)

Jun 8, 2023
I have the very same issue. It worked well on Windows 10. I then reinstalled a fresh WIndows 11 and this problem happened at this moment.

Still haven't found solution yet

EDIT: fixed the issue. I installed Custom Range Utility (CRU) and set a range from 60-144hz. Some forum user proposed 50-144hz but it didn't work for me, so I went up to 60-144hz

Last edited:
Reactions: xcloudx01
Apr 4, 2023
Turning off G-sync fixes it 😁😁😁

Other than that, no.
Thank you for yr reply man.
But it is one of the features why we use this card and monitor. turning it off seems wasting it but we have no solution.
It is hard for me to find the solution as many others just have the black screen flickering instead of complete dark screen. I have the exact same issue with you, such as whenever I input something or click in the lobby in game, the monitor shows nothing.

Just random things to try off the top of my head:
  • Seeing if there's a firmware update for the monitor
  • Hard power cycle the monitor (unplug power from it, wait a minute, then plug it back in)
  • Trying a different DP cable
  • Having the monitor be the only one connected
  • Trying the monitor on another computer that has G-Sync capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.