G-Sync, Fast Sync, V-Sync

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I am using a 144hz monitor with G-Sync for a while. Since I have it I turn G-sync always on and V-sync always of in all games. With G-sync I never experienced any screen tearing. I mostly play single player games in WQHD 1440p on highest possible graphics settings for best visuals. I only turn graphics settings down if I don't have +60fps. Even so I am using a RTX 2080 and I am hitting pretty much everywhere well over 60fps, I'm not hitting the 144hz refresh rate of my monitor in most games (some games I do, like Wolfenstein 2). Someone told me I should acitivate Fast Sync in the Nvidia panel settings.

My questions in regards to fast sync: what for? what does it do? Would I see any benefits from it? Can I use it together with G-sync? And am I correct assuming to deactivate v-sync in any case....?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You do not need this. Fast-sync is for when you are exceeding the refresh rate of your monitor. Essentially it has less of an impact on latency than V-sync, but otherwise functions the same.

You can probably have G-sync up to the refresh rate and Fast sync above, though, like you I go for visuals before FPS (I also like consistency) so I have not messed with it.

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018

So, to clarify, you're using G-Sync and V-Sync? In that case, disable V-Sync.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

G-sync + V-sync = G-sync will keep the monitor inside of the refresh range, so stopping at 75, 100, 144, or 165, 180, or 240 depending on the panel.
G-sync - V-sync = G-sync will operate up to the refresh rate and then allow any number of frames to be drawn after that point, so effectively a standard monitor beyond the G-sync range.

It is a feature Nvidia added just about at the release of the G-sync 2.0 module, it works with all of them though, it was done at the software level.

If you don't want your GPU and CPU to run wild, leaving v-sync on is a good power saving.

mjbn1977

Distinguished

Not yet, that's why I am asking. I wanted to clarify what Fast Sync actually does and if it can or should be used with G-Sync.