[SOLVED] G-Sync On with VSync On?

Hoogers

Prominent
Feb 24, 2020
I've been reading a lot of posts about how you should have G-Sync on along with Vsync on via Nvidia Control Panel (vsync off ingame) and limit your fps to your monitor's refresh rate - 3 (in my case I have two 144hz monitors so I limit my FPS to 141). I've been trying it out, but I've been having this problem where my games would randomly get capped at half my FPS, even though my windows display settings and Nvidia control panel says my monitors are at 144hz. It fixes itself if I switch it to a lower refresh rate and change it back to 144, but it happens so often that I really don't want to do that every time. I read that it could be because I set Vsync on globally that it does some weird thing to halve my FPS, then I started reading that G-Sync works up to the monitor's refresh rate, and if the FPS goes over it then that's when Vsync kicks in. If that's the case, couldn't I just have G-Sync on, Vsync off in Nvidia Control Panel AND all my games, and just limit my FPS to be for example at 140 FPS via Nvidia Control Panel?

Solution
I've been reading a lot of posts about how you should have G-Sync on along with Vsync on via Nvidia Control Panel (vsync off ingame) and limit your fps to your monitor's refresh rate - 3 (in my case I have two 144hz monitors so I limit my FPS to 141). I've been trying it out, but I've been having this problem where my games would randomly get capped at half my FPS, even though my windows display settings and Nvidia control panel says my monitors are at 144hz. It fixes itself if I switch it to a lower refresh rate and change it back to 144, but it happens so often that I really don't want to do that every time. I read that it could be because I set Vsync on globally that it does some weird thing to halve my FPS, then I started...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've been reading a lot of posts about how you should have G-Sync on along with Vsync on via Nvidia Control Panel (vsync off ingame) and limit your fps to your monitor's refresh rate - 3 (in my case I have two 144hz monitors so I limit my FPS to 141). I've been trying it out, but I've been having this problem where my games would randomly get capped at half my FPS, even though my windows display settings and Nvidia control panel says my monitors are at 144hz. It fixes itself if I switch it to a lower refresh rate and change it back to 144, but it happens so often that I really don't want to do that every time. I read that it could be because I set Vsync on globally that it does some weird thing to halve my FPS, then I started reading that G-Sync works up to the monitor's refresh rate, and if the FPS goes over it then that's when Vsync kicks in. If that's the case, couldn't I just have G-Sync on, Vsync off in Nvidia Control Panel AND all my games, and just limit my FPS to be for example at 140 FPS via Nvidia Control Panel?

Effectively equivalent?

G-Sync + V-Sync means 30hz->144hz with G-sync enabled.
G-Sync + V-Sync off and no frame limit, means after 144hz it will just run with no synching and deliver as many frames as possible.
If you artificially limit the FPS to 144, you are basically achieving the first option.

Solution