G-Sync or Not

thenightfury

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Hi guys it's my first time building a PC , so I don't know much and I would really appreciation your input .My issue is
I am thinking of getting a gtx 1080 with a 4k 60hz FreeSync monitor,
I was going to play at 1440p for 60hz fps but I recently read about the I'll effects of not having Freesync so I was asking if I were to play on this monitor at 1440p would I encounter screen tear?

Solution

Those are two different technologies. Freesync is AMD based so that 4K freesync monitor won't be compatible with your 1080. It will work with the 1080 but the sync technology won't. You need a G-Sync monitor.

The G-sync monitor would be helpful in your situation.

thenightfury

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

Thanks i know that freesync wont work with the nvidia i live in India so i don't really have a lot of options, so i wanted to ask would the screen tear be noticeable.

At times it will be. It depends on the game. You can also visit the Nvidia Control Panel from your desktop and click on 3D Settings. Scroll down until you see Vertical Sync. You aren't limited to Vertical Sync on and off. There is also Adaptive Sync which can help with screen tearing better than the simple v-sync on.

thenightfury

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

Thanks for that link, would it work in my situation or should I switch to 4k and if the gtx 1080 wouldn't work on 4k even with high settings should I buy a gtx 1080 ti would the screen tear be reduced then ?

Freesync is AMD's own style of variable frame rate syncing. Pretty much similar to Nvidia's Gsync technology.

If your just running a capped 60HZ then you don't really need variable frame syncing tech, it is for systems that can push a 120/144hz monitor to its max and keep it round about there but the tech stops the variable frames from causing tearing if the frames dip or fluctuate.

I have a Dell 1440p 144hz Gsync TN panel and the variable frame syncing tech is a god send, without it i would go crazy from all the tearing.

thenightfury

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

So how would i cap the refresh rate of the gpu ?

What i mean by a 60hz cap is that a monitor with a 60HZ refresh rate can only reach 60FPS (Frames Per Second)

While a 120-144HZ is double/more than double but this means there is more/lots of room for frames to fluctuate and in so variable frame syncing tech comes in to sync each frame with your monitors current frame rate which is now controlled by the GPU allowing a lot more freedom.

You can still cap your framerate while on a 120/144hz monitor, you would just have to use the program Rivertuner which comes along side Afterburner (used to monitor and overclock a GPU)

thenightfury

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

yeah i got that capping part earlier what i meant was i read on different places that if the fps is higher than the refresh rate of the monitor , screen tearing would also happen that is what i was worried about

The aforementioned Vsync or adaptive v-sync are a couple of options. Vsync caps the FPS at the monitor's refresh rate. It's not really a set it and forget it. It depends on the monitor and games. I'd be looking for a 1440p 144Hz monitor.

Oh yea sure if it goes over its tears like crazy.

To fix this alongside Gsync or Freesync you would go into the GPU's control panel and turn on Vysnc. If you don't want the tiny input lag (i never notice it) caused by Vsync then just use frame capping software and cap one frame below your max HZ. Just remember to disable Vysnc in the in-game settings.

Also to add if you have Vsync on with a variable frame sync tech enabled the moment you hit the max Vysync kicks in (so hello input lag) and the moment the frames go down the variable frame sync tech kicks in until Vysnc needs to kick in to stop the frames going over the HZ and in so tearing. But if you just cap to i don't know 143fps on a 144hz Gsync will stay on. But as you will be getting to 100+fps 50-60 will start to sluggish and no amount of frame syncing will make it look smooth.

It took my mate over a month till his eyes got back to 60hz after using my screen for a few hours, its really hard to unsee a high frame rate monitor. Its a bit like my work 60hz 1080p pc feels super sluggish now and looks pixelated as i'm use to my 144hz 1440p monitor at home. I usually warn people before they look at my screen now.

Solution

thenightfury

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

Thanks for your help I got it thanks input lag really doesnt matter ia m not that much of a gamer i play like 2 hrs every day and that is max, earlier i use d to play on PS4 so this would be a huge improvement also i wanted to ask if you could spare the time should i get gtx 1080 or gtx 1080 ti difference in my country is like 200-220 USD. And how many years could i use this rig is I used gtx 1080 at 1440p or gtx 1080 ti at 4k?
Thanks for the response really appreaciate it.

Is the 30% better performance boost the Ti offers worth over $200 to you? Not something I can answer. I finally purchased a Ti. Never in my life did I think I would own one. For one, the value just isn't there. The higher up on the FPS totem we go the more expensive each frame becomes. I also don't have $800 to drop on anything so I haven't. The Ti just hasn't been a realistic opportunity. Now that I have a Vive the Ti was just too irresistible.

thenightfury

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

Thanks

Hmm well resolution wise i like to stay one below the new resolution then go up next gen. So now most are going to 4K so i went for 1440p as it has got cheaper now.

Well with 1080p with a GTX 1080 is overkill but its means you can use it for many more years before it needs to be upgraded compared to 1440p or 4K.

1440p thou will last maybe 3 years now before AAA games demand a better GPU for 1440p, thats a guess.

4K is very demanding and really only for 60hz, current GPU's can just handle it with a bit of leg room left. Give a year or and two and it will be to demanding.

My Dad got a new powerful pc recently with a GTX 1060 and he's perfectly happy playing Witcher 3 at 1080p ultra no issues constant 60fps.

Its all about preference.

thenightfury

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

Thanks