[SOLVED] G-Sync VS Free-Sync

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Been looking over monitors for a few weeks now. Got some good advice on screen size and recommended monitors

I have a RTX 2060 SUPER and an i7 9700K with 16GB of ram.

I noticed not a lot of monitors support G-Sync and some that do are very pricey. Im ok with keeping things at 1080P But I do want higher refresh rates, currently Microstutters are quite an issue for me.

I heard somewhere else that if your pc cannot hit the marked refresh rate free-sync won't turn on?

If performance can be an issue, which is the best tech to follow?

Solution
Ok, because nobody can get this straight. I'll try to keep it somewhat simple still.

GSync (proper) is denoted by having a dedicated hardware chip/module implanted in a monitor that receives the frames from the GPU and tells the panel when to refresh. Works via display port connection only, and only works with Nvidia GPUs.

"FreeSync" uses the VESA Adaptive sync standard to do the same thing, but without the need for the module. Works via display port connection for AMD and Nvidia GPUs. In addition, AMD GPUs can also do "freesync over HDMI" but NVidia GPUs cannot do variable refresh over HDMI.

"GSync Compatible" is nothing more than a certification program put on by NVidia. To make this list, a monitor must have a 2.4:1...
G-SYNC is nVidia specific. Because of that nVidia has very strict requirements of their monitors to be considered G-SYNC branded, such as all of them are required to support LFC which helps if the FPS dips below the minimum refresh rate of the monitor.

Free-SYNC is open and not as tight in terms of features. If you go with one I highly recommend using this list:

Basically any listed as G-SYNC Compatible are Free-SYNC monitors that nVidia has tested and have passed for them.

And the way it works is that a monitor will support a refresh rate of say 30-144Hz. If the game only goes to 60FPS then it will still work, just at 60FPS. The entire purpose is so that if the game drops below that it still feels smooth ad the refresh rate will adapt to it. So say your game plays at 60FPS with some dips to 45FPS and some jumps to 75FPS. The monitors refersh rate will match it by dropping to 45Hz or 75Hz respectively. The max refresh rate is just the highest that monitor supports.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
hmmm Lot of items on that list, makes most sense to go for the compatible. Guess i'll have to dig through amazon and see whats best price range. shocked how little use HDMI for the sync. I wanted samsung just for pure brand trust but not a lot of options there. LG looks good but prices are all over the place....

Thanks for the input :)

HDMI is more a limit of it. Right now the best, 2.0b, still is limited to 4K/60Hz. 2.1 will push to 4K/120Hz.

DisplayPort is a superior connection. More features, much more bandwidth and its been tied into ThunderBolt as a single connection and will probably be the same with USB 4 which will have ThunderBolt tied into it as well.

Samsung makes decent products I agree. But they are not the best in everything. Depending on the resolution and refresh rate you want I would look at Acer or Asus, especially their ones geared towards gamers, more than others.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
That helps me out a lot thank you! I have a Asus currently and the image itself is kind of fuzzy and its a slower monitor. So my trust their is a bit low, Acer looks promising. I'll have to filter my options from there.

Ok, because nobody can get this straight. I'll try to keep it somewhat simple still.

GSync (proper) is denoted by having a dedicated hardware chip/module implanted in a monitor that receives the frames from the GPU and tells the panel when to refresh. Works via display port connection only, and only works with Nvidia GPUs.

"FreeSync" uses the VESA Adaptive sync standard to do the same thing, but without the need for the module. Works via display port connection for AMD and Nvidia GPUs. In addition, AMD GPUs can also do "freesync over HDMI" but NVidia GPUs cannot do variable refresh over HDMI.

"GSync Compatible" is nothing more than a certification program put on by NVidia. To make this list, a monitor must have a 2.4:1 refresh range (pretty much 120Hz or higher) so that it supports LFC, AND they must have variable refresh enabled out of the box (this one cuts a fair number of monitors off because they ship with it disabled). Then there's the BS about ghosting and response times, but that's pretty far down the list of importance. A final qualifier (which I can't confirm) is that the manufacturer be in good standing with Nvidia (Geforce Experience anyone!?) otherwise...oops we just can't get around to certifying your products....

All in all, Nvidia has basically abandoned GSync (proper) since its now irrelevant. The nail in the coffin was the upgraded module needed for HDR that added >$500 to the BoM for each monitor and that Xbox/PlayStation run FreeSync (aside from the obvious fact that Nvidia GPUs can utilize VESA A.S. just like AMD GPUs) In fact, GSync laptops have always used VESA A.S. so....

Last edited:
Solution

"GSync Compatible" is nothing more than a certification program put on by NVidia. To make this list, a monitor must have a 2.4:1 refresh range (pretty much 120Hz or higher) so that it supports LFC, AND they must have variable refresh enabled out of the box (this one cuts a fair number of monitors off because they ship with it disabled). Then there's the BS about ghosting and response times, but that's pretty far down the list of importance. A final qualifier (which I can't confirm) is that the manufacturer be in good standing with Nvidia (Geforce Experience anyone!?) otherwise...oops we just can't get around to certifying your products....

All in all, Nvidia has basically abandoned GSync (proper) since its now irrelevant. The nail in the coffin was the upgraded module needed for HDR that added >$500 to the BoM for each monitor and that Xbox/PlayStation run FreeSync (aside from the obvious fact that Nvidia GPUs can utilize VESA A.S. just like AMD GPUs) In fact, GSync laptops have always used VESA A.S. so....

Not sure what was not straight. GSYNC does require certain features. I didn't mention the hardware module since it is part of GSYNC.

And nVidia didn't quite abandon HDR. Thats GSYN Ultimate and you can still purchase GSYCN HDR capable monitors.

HDMI itself is pointless. Its an inferior standard to DisplayPort, especially in bandwidth, when it comes to PCs.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Ok I have it down to two monitors, an alienware and a standard dell brand model.

the alienware is 25 inches and 1080P but can push 240HZ. And looks bad ass.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0733YCKM5/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B0733VW5QB

the dell is 27 inch 1040P and can push 155HZ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2L5CXO/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B07NJD3Y3Q

I have a RTX 2060 SUPER card and an i7 9700K. I know I can do some 1440P gaming but Im wondering how frequent I would have to turn graphics down to maintain over 60 FPS.

Any suggestions from anyone on what to choose? I've heard good things about both.

To me color depth and sharpness is most important. (I know I know there TN)

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Went with a free-sync monitor. Which for 1440P at 27 inches and about 300 bucks isn't bad. Considering its still 144 HZ and claims 1 MS. Apparently out of the box colors are awful BUT hopefully that can be addressed.

Reactions: King_V

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Someone else recommended it to me as well, my only 2 issues 1: its only 1080P for the price seems high and 2: i can only find it from small sellers, Im concerned they don't have the means to properly ship something like that. And if it comes damaged I would be SOL.