[SOLVED] G-Sync vs No G-Sync?

Oct 28, 2020
Hello,

I have a Ryzen 5 3500X, RTX 2060 and 16GB DDR4 RAM which are currently running on an old 720p CRT monitor. I have decided that it's time for an upgrade however, I still can't decide whether I will require G-Sync or not. My budget is around 270-300USD.I have came across those monitors which are available in my country (Egypt) and I think suit me best, I just need your help to pick one. I will be using it for gaming mostly.

Option A: ASUS TUF VG249Q 24"
which features an IPS panel, 165Hz refresh rate and G-Sync compatibility and it costs around 270 USD.
Option B: Philips 242M8 24"
which features an IPS panel, 165 Hz refresh rate and costs around 230 USD.
Option C: Philips Momentum 272M8CZ 27"
which features an IPS panel, 165 Hz refresh rate, is 27" and costs around 280USD.

In the end, I would have to pick between either a 27" monitor with no G-Sync compatibility, or a 24" with G-Sync compatibility, or a 24" with no G-Sync compatibility.

If you know any other monitors that are IPS, 165 Hz or 144 Hz, G-Sync compatible, 27"/24" and within 300 USD, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Solution
G.sync is of value to reduce screen tearing due to a mismatch between the frame generating capability of the pc/graphics card, and the frame presentation capability of the monitor.
How this is done may also have an impact on input latency.
This older article may explain:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13

That said, in buying a new monitor, I would consider a larger/wider monitor with a good image.
At one time, years ago, a crt monitor needed about 85hz to keep the image from shimmering.
Unless you are a professional fast action gamer, you may enjoy a larger/more immersive monitor more than chasing high fps.

And... keep your old monitor as a side monitor. It...

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
I would suggest you to buy ASUS TUF VG249Q 24" . Because Philips Support team is not that good and the panels they use are very outdates in terms off illumination and brightness. In the other hand, ASUS TUF VG249Q 24" gives 'TUF' competition to competitors like Dell and HP. In my suggest having G-Sync is best since RTX 2060 is not designed for 1440p gaming and 1080p does not look good in a monitor with 27"inch screen. Currently I use Lenovo G27c-10 which has 165Hz RR with 1ms MSPRT. But I personally lack clarity since 1080p is not looking great in 27"inch Monitor

Oct 28, 2020
I would suggest you to buy ASUS TUF VG249Q 24" . Because Philips Support team is not that good and the panels they use are very outdates in terms off illumination and brightness. In the other hand, ASUS TUF VG249Q 24" gives 'TUF' competition to competitors like Dell and HP. In my suggest having G-Sync is best since RTX 2060 is not designed for 1440p gaming and 1080p does not look good in a monitor with 27"inch screen. Currently I use Lenovo G27c-10 which has 165Hz RR with 1ms MSPRT. But I personally lack clarity since 1080p is not looking great in 27"inch Monitor
Thank you for your reply,
However I'm still uncertain on some things;
-Does the output look blurry on a 27" monitor?
-Does G-Sync reduce the Input delay?
-Do I NEED G-Sync or not?

I don't like 1080p on 27" either. It is not blurry but it is not sharp, I found it annoying for text so websites, Word, Excel, etc.

G-Sync does not reduce input lag. I play FPS games and generally pick settings to keep the average fps above the refresh rate so not using G-Sync that my monitor has.

G.sync is of value to reduce screen tearing due to a mismatch between the frame generating capability of the pc/graphics card, and the frame presentation capability of the monitor.
How this is done may also have an impact on input latency.
This older article may explain:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13

That said, in buying a new monitor, I would consider a larger/wider monitor with a good image.
At one time, years ago, a crt monitor needed about 85hz to keep the image from shimmering.
Unless you are a professional fast action gamer, you may enjoy a larger/more immersive monitor more than chasing high fps.

And... keep your old monitor as a side monitor. It will not impact your gaming.

Solution
I have a 27 inch 1080p monitor. It could probably be clearer but it’s fine in my opinion for gaming. My monitor isn’t a g sync monitor though, but is free sync compatible. Which with nvidia cards I think you can try enabling g sync on a free sync monitor. On my monitor it seems to work ok. You may look at the free sync panels as well since you’d get many of the same features but free sync monitors usually don’t demand the same price as a g sync monitor. For example this is the monitor I have.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...165hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-ips-led-gaming-monitor

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
-The 1080p output does not look blurry on 27" monitor but you might get screen tearing or screen stuttering if you use non G-Sync monitor.
-G-Sync is Nvidia's adaptive Screen Refresh Rate. It syncs the monitor's refresh rate with the Game FPS to avoid screen tearing. Only applicable for G-Sync compatible monitors.
-Currently G-Sync is not that useful for gaming but might be handy if you do video editing or workloads that depend on GPU. It is useful in MMORPG or Story-based games. Notice that there might be a shortage of G-Sync monitors since they are being sold online for low costs and currently in India it is hard to find the LG monitors that have both FreeSync and G-Sync support since they are being scalped and resold for nearly 100$-200$ higher than initial pricing. G-Sync can be turned on or off as you wish in Nvidia Control Panel or in Monitor setting.