Question G Sync

Sep 26, 2022
I've just upgraded to a ryzen 7 5800x, msi b550 pro gaming motherboard, and I reused my evga 1070 ftw, my problem is that when I do a benchmark or play a gpu intense game my main g sync monitor goes black for like 2 seconds, but when I unplug one of my 3 monitors it runs perfectly what could be the problem I've already tried reinstalling windows and nvidia drivers nothing seems to help.

When you "reinstalled Windows" did you did a CLEAN install, by disconnecting all drives except the flash drive you are installing Windows from and the target drive you are installing it ON, and did you use this exact method below including deleting all the existing partitions on the drive and installing to the unpartitioned, unformatted space?

6. On the the next screen you see there will be two options. One allows you to simply upgrade your previous version of Windows if there is already one installed and the other will allow you to proceed with a new installation. Unless you are only upgrading, which I do not recommend, then you must click on "Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced)".

3NgWnmj.png

7. Now we come to the step where we remove any previous Windows installations and all existing partitions on the drive so that there can be no future conflicts regarding the Windows boot partition information. I recommend selecting, one at a time, and deleting, ALL existing partitions on the primary drive until no partitions remain and there is only unallocated space.

(Do not delete any partitions showing that are on the USB flash drive you are using to install windows from, if it shows up in the list of partition information. All others may be deleted unless you still have other drives connected.)

If you have not disconnected all secondary drives as was suggested at the beginning of the tutorial, then be very careful to not accidentally delete any partitions from those drives by mistake.

If you still have other drives connected other than the USB or optical drive being used to install from, and the target drive for the Windows installation, I highly recommend stopping now and starting over again from the beginning AFTER shutting down and disconnecting those drives.

If there ARE no other hard drives connected, then proceed with removing all of the existing partitions on the primary hard drive, until only unallocated space remains, and then click Next.

pmojZsv.png

8. Windows installation will commence.

And, did you go to the product page for your motherboard after installing Windows and download the latest chipset, network adapter and audio controller drivers, and then install them, or have you relied on Windows to provide all your drivers aside from those for your graphics card?

What BIOS does your motherboard currently have installed?

Sep 26, 2022
And, did you go to the product page for your motherboard after installing Windows and download the latest chipset, network adapter and audio controller drivers, and then install them, or have you relied on Windows to provide all your drivers aside from those for your graphics card?

What BIOS does your motherboard currently have installed?
I did a full clean install and did all updates and chipset drivers, and the latest bios for the motherboard.

Have you tried this?

go to 'adjust desktop color settings' in the Nvidia .cpl, and at the bottom where it has 'Content type reported to the display' you have to change it to anything other than auto. I set it to 'full-screen videos', and the problem goes away with zero effect on anything else as far as I have seen.

Is this an Nvidia surround configuration where all three displays are acting as one large display or are you using only a single display for the game/benchmark while the other two do not have G-sync enabled on them?

Sep 26, 2022
Have you tried this?

Is this an Nvidia surround configuration where all three displays are acting as one large display or are you using only a single display for the game/benchmark while the other two do not have G-sync enabled on them?
I'm not using the nvidia surround configuration and the two monitors are only 60 and not s sync my main monitors is 1080p 240 with g sync

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
What resolution are you using on the gsync monitor? Is the display cable you are using certified, and a version that supports that resolution, in addition to g-sync and other display enhancements?
I know cards older than the 30xx series do not support g-sync in addition to resolutions higher than 1080p and refresh rates higher than 60hz. There are some display cables that do not support all three as well.

Sep 26, 2022
What resolution are you using on the gsync monitor? Is the display cable you are using certified, and a version that supports that resolution, in addition to g-sync and other display enhancements?
I know cards older than the 30xx series do not support g-sync in addition to resolutions higher than 1080p and refresh rates higher than 60hz. There are some display cables that do not support all three as well.
My g sync monitor is 1080p and 240hz and I'm using the display ports cable that came with the monitor, and I have a gtx 1070 not 3070

Sep 26, 2022
Shouldn't be. I have three LG 32" panels which are 1440p 144hz and can run G-sync fine on all three or just one. Let me check a few things and get back to you on your problem.
I think it might be my gpu because I took it out of my computer and put it in another and it did the same thing. Idk lol any help from anyone at this point is helpful

If it is doing the same thing on a different computer, then we need to ask if it's actually doing the same thing on YOUR computer when there is only one or two monitors connected. I know you said before it wasn't, but now you say it does the same thing on another computer. Does the "other" computer also have three displays? Are you using the same displays with that computer that you were using with YOUR computer? Details are always appreciated as it is awfully hard to figure anything out remotely without them.

Sep 26, 2022
If it is doing the same thing on a different computer, then we need to ask if it's actually doing the same thing on YOUR computer when there is only one or two monitors connected. I know you said before it wasn't, but now you say it does the same thing on another computer. Does the "other" computer also have three displays? Are you using the same displays with that computer that you were using with YOUR computer? Details are always appreciated as it is awfully hard to figure anything out remotely without them.
I hooked up the same monitors to the other computer with my 1070, I took out the gpu put it in a different computer and hooked up the same monitors, the monitors are a dell 24 inch normal TN 60hz the g sync one is a dell 25 inch 240hz ips panel, and other one is a 23 inch hp ips 60hz

So then, you are still using the same monitor, same cable, same graphics card. If you are still having the same problem it could be any of them. I'd start with cheapest first, because many cables that come with a lot of displays aren't worth a shiznit. I'd try a better cable first. Does it do this without the other two monitors connected? How, exactly, is each monitor connected to the graphics card?

Sep 26, 2022
So then, you are still using the same monitor, same cable, same graphics card. If you are still having the same problem it could be any of them. I'd start with cheapest first, because many cables that come with a lot of displays aren't worth a shiznit. I'd try a better cable first. Does it do this without the other two monitors connected? How, exactly, is each monitor connected to the graphics card? Ones hooked up with dvi one with hdmi and one display port. What brand of cables should I look for?

No, that's not what I mean. I mean, are you USING the other two monitors, while gaming on the main monitor? As in, are you multitasking and running browser windows, or skype, or other applications or sites on the other displays AT THE SAME TIME YOU ARE GAMING on the primary display? Because if you are not, then I'd recommend simply right clicking the desktop before you start to play a game and select the "Display settings" option and disable one of the displays while you game, then enable it again afterwards, to see if this stops the problem. At least until you can figure out exactly what is causing it.

Sep 26, 2022
No, that's not what I mean. I mean, are you USING the other two monitors, while gaming on the main monitor? As in, are you multitasking and running browser windows, or skype, or other applications or sites on the other displays AT THE SAME TIME YOU ARE GAMING on the primary display? Because if you are not, then I'd recommend simply right clicking the desktop before you start to play a game and select the "Display settings" option and disable one of the displays while you game, then enable it again afterwards, to see if this stops the problem. At least until you can figure out exactly what is causing it.
Ohh ok no I usually have nothing open but the game so the other two monitors are just showing the desktop

Right, so if they are just showing the desktop, then being able to right click the desktop, select display settings and disable one of the two side displays SHOULD be an easy way to get around this problem temporarily and maybe even permanently if you cannot find an answer. I am about out of ideas as to what might be causing it aside from simply the fact that you are using three digital video outputs on your older graphics card that was about one of the first ones you could do that with.

If any of your displays has an actual analog VGA input on it, and if your graphics card does as well, you could try connecting one of the two 60hz panels via VGA instead of DVI, or alternatively if you were really in a pinch and could never find the issue you could also try getting a super cheap second graphics card and use that for the other two displays and only use your primary gpu for your G-sync display.

Obviously, probably shouldn't have to do any of that, but sometimes we encounter crap that just doesn't seem to have an answer. Surely there is one, but at this point short of a newer graphics card I'm not sure what it is.

Sep 26, 2022
Right, so if they are just showing the desktop, then being able to right click the desktop, select display settings and disable one of the two side displays SHOULD be an easy way to get around this problem temporarily and maybe even permanently if you cannot find an answer. I am about out of ideas as to what might be causing it aside from simply the fact that you are using three digital video outputs on your older graphics card that was about one of the first ones you could do that with.

If any of your displays has an actual analog VGA input on it, and if your graphics card does as well, you could try connecting one of the two 60hz panels via VGA instead of DVI, or alternatively if you were really in a pinch and could never find the issue you could also try getting a super cheap second graphics card and use that for the other two displays and only use your primary gpu for your G-sync display.

Obviously, probably shouldn't have to do any of that, but sometimes we encounter crap that just doesn't seem to have an answer. Surely there is one, but at this point short of a newer graphics card I'm not sure what it is.
Ok thank you for your help, I will try that also I might just have to just disable one monitor for now