G-Technology Intros New "Studio" Line of External HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcusuma1

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
Installed the update; machine rebooted to a blank screen. Can see the cursor if I move the mouse, but it disappears when I stop moving it. Safe mode has the same issue, but I can see "Safe Mode" in all four corners. Had to do a system restore to get back in. Microsoft technician had no useful advice.

Also I gave the "Start Screen" / Metro a fighting chance. For me, it's a huge PITA. Takes up the whole screen, unecessarily big icons, have to move the mouse a mile to get from one end of the screen to the other, horrible asthetics, and to top it all off, all of the "Apps" broke when I took full ownership of my drive, which I had to do because I couldn't even save a text file.

Way to go Microsoft!

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Wouldn't it be cheaper to get an external RAID enclosure and put whatever hard drives you want in separately?

Yes, but is your external RAID enclosure manufacturer going to take a support call when you're in the middle of cutting a TV show and the RAID goes down? Because that's what these are for.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

I'm kinda confused here, if your RAID goes out.. if it was because a hard drive failure then that is up to the user to make sure they have their data backed up, but if the enclosure malfunctions then it's up to the manufacture to get it working for you again. If you got a RAID, you want to make sure that RAID is already backed up so if your RAID fails you can use your back up and try to get your main one fixed or replaced.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Point was: they are meant for pro use for things like editing 4k RAW footage, for people working in time = money positions. More likely than not, your IT guy would pull the RAID, put in the backup, and then call the vendor for support... and the IT guy's time is expensive enough that you don't want him messing around and trying to explain what he's doing with the configuration to a vendor. (Point is also: they are designed for a situation where there *is* an IT guy...)

Status
Not open for further replies.