G1 980ti & I7 4790K @ 1440p 165hz on low/medium settings?

Cuttsie

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
So I currently have a 144hz 1080p display that I play Battlefield on (Low settings to get max fps - Game still looks stunning and it gives you a slight visual advantage)

Would I be able to play @ 1440p 165hz on low settings with my current setup? If not what GPU should I upgrade to? Thanks!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps is all about the cpu. Resolution is gpu.

Assuming the gpu is capable, what's your current fps. That'll be your limit, that'll be your starting point for 1440p. After that, it's all upto the gpu whether it can do the job. The battlefield series is very well optimized, but it's still brutal on a pc.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, it's not. The cpu pre-render frames. It can only do so, so many times a second. If it can only pre-render 100 frames a second, that's the maximum fps you can achieve in any resolution or detail setting. The gpu is bound by details and resolution, higher the details, harder the gpu works, higher the resolution the harder the gpu works. At 1080p and ultra, modern decent gpus can easily exceed that 100fps cpu limit, so the cpu is maxed but the gpu isn't. At 4k ultra, the cpu is taking a break and the gpu is suffering, cpu capable of 100fps, but the gpu can't put that many on the screen.

That said, his cpu is only capable of so many fps, doesn't matter if it's 1080p or 1440p, but if op currently isn't seeing well over 144fps in his games now at 1080p, then switching to 1440p will make it @ 1.7x as hard on the gpu, making that 165Hz a pipe dream. If 1080p is showing 140 fps, at 1440p its closer to 100fps. OP would need to be exceeding 240fps or so to get good usage out of the 165Hz monitor. The 980ti is good, but for many newer games, it's not that good at ultra settings and 140+fps