G2a windows 8.1 or windows 10?

adza botchway

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
Hi so im building a new pc and now that windows 10 in coming out next week, i feel like i should just get that instead of windows 8.1? Should i, if so, how much is it going to cost? Also, i found this website through many many youtubers, its fairly legitimate but its 100% legal which is all i care about. they sell windows 8.1 https://www.g2a.com/microsoft-windows-8-1-standard-32-64-bit-cd-key-global.html?___store=englishus for very cheap, but my question is, it says "key" is that ONLY the activation code or is it the actual full operating system that comes with a key and everything.
Also, can i buy windows 8.1, then upgrade to windows 10 even after the actual product is released as a final version?

Solution
From G2A, neither. Ever.

Yes, it is 'cheaper'. You have to ask yourself how they can sell a $90 product for $40.
Last year, a member here reached out to Microsoft and asked it that was a valid reseller. The answer was an unequivocal "No".

Just the other day, a different member here bought a similarly priced OS from another site. Again, not a valid reseller.
Trying to activate, it came back as 'blocked'. Trying the phone activation, same thing. "Blocked"

Those are not valid Windows licenses.

USAFRet

Titan
From G2A, neither. Ever.

Yes, it is 'cheaper'. You have to ask yourself how they can sell a $90 product for $40.
Last year, a member here reached out to Microsoft and asked it that was a valid reseller. The answer was an unequivocal "No".

Just the other day, a different member here bought a similarly priced OS from another site. Again, not a valid reseller.
Trying to activate, it came back as 'blocked'. Trying the phone activation, same thing. "Blocked"

Those are not valid Windows licenses.

Solution
dont buy windows any where thats too cheap that g2a website has come up on here before they only give you a key that might or might not work to begin with but may stop working after a while---any where that sells windows too cheaply is dodgy

windows 10 is about £80 on a usb drive for pre order for the basic version--about double that for pro

edit--need to learn to type faster

but thats 2 dont buy it

adza botchway

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014

Oh huh okay then. thanks. Do you know if i can still get windows 8.1 and then just upgrade it to windows 10 for free? I know of a way i can save about 50 dollars still. On the windows site, they sell 8.1 for 69.99 with the student discount, if i just buy that and install it, can i still upgrade it to windows 10 after the release of windows 10?

far as i know student versions are entitled to the free upgrade-- obviously in a couple of days more things about 10 will become clearer

USAFRet

Titan

You can upgrade to Win 10 for free anytime before July 29 2016.

I would wait for Win10 to get fixed. Theres been a few screwups lately with their updates. One was the other day.

They need to get their **** together and fix it properly before anyone installs it

I've got it on the other PC here. Its ok so far, but I've uninstalled a few of the latest updates on it. Because they've caused probs

adza botchway

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014

Okay thank you again :) thats all i needed

adza botchway

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014

Honestly, the only reason why i want windows 10 is because it looks really really nice. i personally dont love how windows 7 looks, which is what im using currently on my laptop.

USAFRet

Titan

This? (from January)
How much will Windows 10 cost?

The exact cost of the new operating system was not announced but it has been reported that Microsoft will offer Windows 10 as a free upgrade to those running Windows 7 and Windows 8. If you are a student or faculty member, you may be eligible to receive Windows 10 for free. Get notified when Windows 10 is available on OnTheHub by subscribing for updates."

'may be eligible' and 'can' are two different things.

adza botchway

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014

I know it was from long ago but it was the closest thing i found. Who knows. If it were free for students, that would be incredible. that would make lots of people really happy, including me.