G31M-ES2L & E8500 OC Problem

gr0bda

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I can't OC this CPU at all either through bios or @BIOS (under win xp.) Every time I try to OC it will even sometimes boot to windows just to freeze very early on. Am I just unlucky with the CPU or am I not doing something?
Memory 2GB Gskill PC6400 800mhz

EDIT: I'm wrong about @BIOS, there was some software that I already uninstalled and now don't remember the name that allowed for CPU overclocking under windows, anyway that software failed to oc just as BIOS did.

Useually the best way to overclock is in the bios and the thing that stands out to me is the fact that you have only 2gb of ram and I would want a little more than that. The reason it will freeze is because the overclock is too high , so what are you overclocking it to.
Which version of windows xp do you have 32bit or 64bit?

gr0bda

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Xp is 32 bit, I tried to overclock to ~4Ghz for my MAME cab for best performance, (which I read was pretty standard with this processor) but I believe even a little bit of overclock would cause the said system freezing. I gave up on overclocking awhile ago, but now, I've got the computer out of the cab and connected to a monitor rather than tv so I can try to test it out again.
And most of the times I was trying to OC via BIOS, I just mentioned that I tried to used the software that came with motherboard.

Btw 2GB is more than enough for a 32 bit OS to run mostly emulators