G3258 won't pass 'auto' without the computer freezing when booted

avaris

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
I was just googling around and after my 20th thread i said screw it, so i'm making this thread.
I just bought a new pc & it consists of these parts:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050
PSU: Deltaco PSU-420 (350W)
RAM: 2x Corsair 4GB CL9 1600Mhz
CASE: Fractal Design Core 1000
CPU-FAN: Noctua NH-U9B SE2

Now.. I've been trying to overclock my G3258, but everytime i increase the cpu speed from "AUTO" clock ratio in the bios the pc won't boot. Even worse i can't enter bios. So i have to take out the battery in order to reset bios configurations every time.
Even changing the speed to 3.2ghz (Which it already is) from 'auto' results in the same problem. It takes like 20minutes for me to put out the battery every time since the huge cpu-fan in my m-ATX, so i havn't tried 3.1ghz or any lower.

The PSU im using right now is the only working one i have close to me so that's why im using it. Although i've calculated the watt the computer is running on and it's 330W with everything HIGHLY overclocked. (even exaggerated slightly on the test) It's tight but it should be ok til i get my new PSU? I have also installing the latest bios, correct version ofc, no change.

help appreciated.

/ Will add more info in edit because i'm sure i've forgotten some.

EDIT: some pics of my current settings http://imgur.com/a/mZdKY

avaris

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

I was told this board was and didn't find anything to contradict it.. This is very disappointing..

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
It doesn't technically, but Geofelt might be right, there might be a bios that does allow overclocking of that chip. It might not be an officially supported one though, which means use at your own risk. And you'll have to do some digging on the net for it, bet if there ever was a bios that supported overclocking, someone has it for downloading.

avaris

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

Thanks!! Any hope is still hope.

Also, What would happen if i downloaded the previous revisions bios. (e.g. downloading rev 1.0 for rev 2.0 motherboard)?

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I don't have a good answer on what happens when you use a bios for a different board revision. I would recommend that you always keep the ability to flash to a known good bios available to yourself. So, if that mobo supports USB bios flashing, then keep 2 usb sticks, one with a good bios, and one with your "experimental" bios, and make sure you know which is which. Good luck and have fun.

avaris

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

basically already shredded through pages of googles, all i could find are requests on it, although i contacted gigabyte in order to ask if they have unofficial/unreleased bios. hoping for the best.