G400 + 865

Tom

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I have G400 on Abit BX133. I would like to go to intel D865 board +P4. Will
this card work on it ?

Tom

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Tom" <tom632@wp.pl> wrote in message news:c987q4$grt$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl...
> I have G400 on Abit BX133. I would like to go to intel D865 board +P4. Will
> this card work on it ?

Maybe. There were several revisions of the G400, the latter ones
are 1.5v/AGP4X capable. Check the exact model number of your
card. If there's a "4A" in the part number then it is 1.5v capable, e.g.:

G4+MDH4A32GB/40

G4+MMDH4A32GR

etc.

If there's not a "4A" in the part number, DO NOT plug it into a
1.5v-only AGP slot. You'll likely fry the slot.

Rick

On Fri, 28 May 2004 22:32:40 +0200, Tom wrote:

> I have G400 on Abit BX133. I would like to go to intel D865 board +P4.
> Will this card work on it ?
>
> Tom
The "full" G400 designed for AGP4x (1.5volt) slots has a 4A in the model
number (on the matrox sticker on the card itself).

All G400 are capable of voltage switching between 3.3 volts and 1.5 volts.

But you don't necessarily need a G400 with 4A in the model number to work in
in an AGP 4x board. The earlier model G400's will work in some AGP4X
motherboards. It depends on the motherboard (more info below).

Matrox realised they had made a mistake with the circuitry on the
original G400's and revised the circuit board even before the model 4A cards
were issued.

There are at least 3 different types of G400 cards:

TYPE 1) the original G400's 2x

TYPE 2) the revised G400's 2x with revised circuit board number (002 I
think)

TYPE 3) the "full" G400 4x cards (with 4A in model number)

I have a Gigabyte 8IRXP and an Asus P4B533-E. Both of these boards are for
AGP4x 1.5v cards only. The difference between these motherboards is that
the 8IRXP does not attempt to save itself if a 3.3volts video card is
inserted. ie. the motherboard will burn itself out. The Asus P4B533-E
actually checks the video card type inserted into the motherboard and will
NOT boot with a 3.3volt card.

Now the TYPE 1 cards are detected by motherboards as 3.3volt - so the TYPE 1
card works okay in an 8IRXP (because the 8IRXP does not check the video card
type) but the TYPE 1 cards won't work in a P4B533 (because the motherboard
thinks its 3.3volt card, but of course its not, because it will switch to
1.5volt)

The TYPE 2 cards will work in any motherboard looking for an AGP 4x 1.5v
card

The TYPE 3 cards will work in any motherboard looking for an AGP 4x 1.5v
card

Because of the auto voltage switching you can insert any Matrox G400 into
any motherboard with takes an AGP 4x 1.5v card and you will not burn it out.

Tom

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

> Maybe. There were several revisions of the G400, the latter ones
> are 1.5v/AGP4X capable. Check the exact model number of your
> card. If there's a "4A" in the part number then it is 1.5v capable, e.g.:
>
> G4+MDH4A32GB/40
>
> G4+MMDH4A32GR
>
> If there's not a "4A" in the part number, DO NOT plug it into a
> 1.5v-only AGP slot. You'll likely fry the slot.

The label is:

G4+MA16DG ..

U¿ytkownik The Real Slim Shady <Stan@your.house.com> w wiadomooci do grup
dyskusyjnych napisa³:pan.2004.05.28.21.46.42.776904@your.house.com...

> Because of the auto voltage switching you can insert any Matrox G400 into
> any motherboard with takes an AGP 4x 1.5v card and you will not burn it
out.

What about Intel Desktop Rock Lake D865Perl ?...... Anybody knows ?

Tom wrote:

> U¿ytkownik The Real Slim Shady <Stan@your.house.com> w wiadomooci do grup
> dyskusyjnych napisa³:pan.2004.05.28.21.46.42.776904@your.house.com...
>
>> Because of the auto voltage switching you can insert any Matrox G400 into
>> any motherboard with takes an AGP 4x 1.5v card and you will not burn it
> out.
>

> What about Intel Desktop Rock Lake D865Perl ?...... Anybody knows ?

All motherboards that's from the last 2-3 years that have AGP are either:

- 1.5V keyed (which means you can't insert a 3.3V card unless you remove a
plastic tab, and the motherboard will come with *explicit* instructions not
to do so).
- 1.5/3.3 V "Universal", which will accept both 1.5V and 3.3V cards. These
are becoming less and less common, as there haven't been any 3.3V cards for
years now.
- AGP Pro 1.5V, with AGP 1.5V compatibility.

The Intel 865P chipset came out less than a year ago. Draw your own
conclusion.

As for your card, take a look at it. It has zero, one or two cut-out gaps
on the main connector.

0 gaps: It's a very early AGP card made before the AGP specification was
ready, and it won't work with many motherboards. Sell it on eBay as a
curiosity.
1 gap, closest to the connector end of the card: 3.3V only, AGP 1.0.
1 gap, closest to the "back end" of the card: 1.5V only, AGP 2.0.
2 gaps: 1.5V / 3.3V switching, AGP 2.0.

In addition, there may or may not be a smaller connector on either end of
the "main block" -- one shaped like a foot, which can be used to secure the
card, and one right next to the bracket side, which only has power
connectors on it, which is used for AGP Pro (like FireGL cards). The gap
between these and the "main connector block" will be bigger than the
cut-out gap that's there to prevent it from being inserted in the wrong
socket.

--
*Art

On Sat, 29 May 2004 11:47:38 +0200, Tom wrote:

> U¿ytkownik The Real Slim Shady <Stan@your.house.com> w wiadomooci do grup
> dyskusyjnych napisa³:pan.2004.05.28.21.46.42.776904@your.house.com...
>
>> Because of the auto voltage switching you can insert any Matrox G400
>> into any motherboard with takes an AGP 4x 1.5v card and you will not
>> burn it
> out.
>

> What about Intel Desktop Rock Lake D865Perl ?...... Anybody knows ?
I suspect it has an AGP 4x. Check the manual.

"The Real Slim Shady" <Stan@your.house.com> wrote in message
>> What about Intel Desktop Rock Lake D865Perl ?...... Anybody
>> knows ?

Probably not, as you won't find many enthusiasts running Intel motherboards.
Why don't you buy something with a little more functionality?
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

U¿ytkownik Richard Hopkins <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> w wiadomooci do grup
dyskusyjnych napisa³:40bc6d1e$0$20510$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> "The Real Slim Shady" <Stan@your.house.com> wrote in message
> >> What about Intel Desktop Rock Lake D865Perl ?...... Anybody
> >> knows ?
>
> Probably not, as you won't find many enthusiasts running Intel
motherboards.
> Why don't you buy something with a little more functionality?

What e.g would You propose ?

> What e.g would You propose ?

Almost any current 865PE chipset board made by Abit or Asus would give you a
better spread of functionality than the board you were originally
considering. There are other good candidates too.