[SOLVED] G4560 + 1050Ti UPgrade

mladja064

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016
Hi i wanna ask you to help me with my CPU upgrade.
I have an intel G4560 3.50 Ghz on Asus h110m-A
It is a budget cpu and now if i wanted to buy a GTX 1070 than i would have a botleneck...
Or should i leave CPU and go for AMD RX-570?

Solution
As I wrote earlier, unless you are already bottomed-out on graphics settings in your games, you can get better performance from upgrading the CPU so the CPU can run the game mechanics faster and lowering details so your GPU does not need to work as hard per frame so it can sustain higher frame rates in general.

In my case with FFXV, my GTX1050 might be able to give me 50-60fps at the absolutely lowest graphics details if I had a faster CPU. If I upgraded to a Titan RTX, I'd still get only ~45fps because my CPU can't run FFXV any faster than that, though I may be able to run it at 4k mostly maxed out instead of 1080p lowest detail.

CPU dictates the absolute maximum frame rates you can achieve in a game, GPU dictates the highest display...
The RX570 ($100-$120) is a much better fit for your current CPU. I assume your monitor is 1080p 60Hz?

Have you considered looking for a used 6th or 7th gen i7 CPU for a drop-in upgrade there? (Here's the CPU list for your mobo) If you did that, a GTX1070 for the right price isn't unreasonable (given your PSU is decent, please tell us what PSU you have) but is pretty overkill for 1080p. For the same price as a GTX1070, you could get the RX570 AND most of the way to a used i7 CPU. Budget budget budget.

How much RAM (GB) do you have? Also, 1 stick or 2 sticks?

The dual core CPU will be limiting with really any GPU upgrade. The 1070 is a good card (slightly faster then a GTX 1660ti) and if you can find one for under 200 USD ( I sold my 1070 for 175) then its a good deal. If you plan on going for a budget GPU then I strongly recommend the GTX 1650 Super for 1080P 60fps gaming over a RX 570.

Now as far as your CPU I would look to see if you can find a used 6th or 7th gen i5 or i7 For an i7 it should be at most 125usd and an i5 80-100, any more and they are ripping you off. (be sure to update your BIOS with your old CPU first)

mladja064

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016
The RX570 ($100-$120) is a much better fit for your current CPU. I assume your monitor is 1080p 60Hz?

Have you considered looking for a used 6th or 7th gen i7 CPU for a drop-in upgrade there? (Here's the CPU list for your mobo) If you did that, a GTX1070 for the right price isn't unreasonable (given your PSU is decent, please tell us what PSU you have) but is pretty overkill for 1080p. For the same price as a GTX1070, you could get the RX570 AND most of the way to a used i7 CPU. Budget budget budget.

How much RAM (GB) do you have? Also, 1 stick or 2 sticks?

I didnt mentioned i would go for the RX-570 8gb version (170euro)
No man i play on 720p monitor.

Here i can find mostley CPU+Mobo together maybe to try Ryzen :)
I have 1x8Gb 2400mhz RAM

Last edited:

mladja064

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016
The dual core CPU will be limiting with really any GPU upgrade. The 1070 is a good card (slightly faster then a GTX 1660ti) and if you can find one for under 200 USD ( I sold my 1070 for 175) then its a good deal. If you plan on going for a budget GPU then I strongly recommend the GTX 1650 Super for 1080P 60fps gaming over a RX 570.

Now as far as your CPU I would look to see if you can find a used 6th or 7th gen i5 or i7 For an i7 it should be at most 125usd and an i5 80-100, any more and they are ripping you off. (be sure to update your BIOS with your old CPU first)

i5 6500 120eur used
i5 6600k 150eur used

AMD RX-570 8Gb 170eur NEW

Maybe i do not appreciate that much the cpu in gaming but it is obvious that my 2 cores G4560 needs to go very soon

InvalidError

Titan
Well i use pc mostly for gaming..
I'd still favor the CPU over GPU for gaming: if your CPU cannot keep up with the GPU in games of interest, that's the end of the road, there is very little you can do about it other than upgrade the CPU which may require a whole platform upgrade. If your GPU cannot keep up with the CPU, you can lower graphics options and resolution until you are bottomed out for higher frame rates before an upgrade becomes absolutely necessary. GPU performance is easily an order of magnitude more malleable than CPU performance.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
If you intend to stick with your 720p monitor for a couple more years, I see absolutely no reason to go with a GTX1070. In fact, your existing GTX1050Ti is sufficient for that resolution.

The 8GB version of the RX570 isn't worth the money. What country are you in exactly? (we could help find the good deals)

Would be nice to get to 2x8GB RAM, but we need to know if you want to go with a used 6th/7th gen i7 drop-in, or if you're looking at a CPU+mobo+RAM upgrade.

What's the budget here?

mladja064

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016
I'd still favor the CPU over GPU for gaming: if your CPU cannot keep up with the GPU in games of interest, that's the end of the road, there is very little you can do about it other than upgrade the CPU which may require a whole platform upgrade. If your GPU cannot keep up with the CPU, you can lower graphics options and resolution until you are bottomed out for higher frame rates before an upgrade becomes absolutely necessary. GPU performance is easily an order of magnitude more malleable than CPU performance.

That i am aware of. Can you sugest me some CPU? Do i need to pay atention on how old is cpu and how to know that will work with DDR 4 RAM?

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
That i am aware of. Can you sugest me some CPU? Do i need to pay atention on how old is cpu and how to know that will work with DDR 4 RAM?
The smallest upgrade I would bother with is a Ryzen 2600 and a B450 motherboard. All semi-recent CPUs use DDR4, so "which CPUs support DDR4" isn't really a question at the moment and won't be until DDR5 arrives in the mainstream 2-3 years from now. However, faster CPUs with more cores do like faster RAM even within a given memory standard family like DDR4.

The best CPU will be a Core i7 6700 or 7700 (if you can find one at good price). If you can get a i7 with 4 cores/ 8 threads will be the best bet. The "K" are the best and will have better base and all cores out of the box frecuency, but those are even more expensive than the non-K ones.

A Core i5 with 4 physical cores will be an upgrade over your pentium, but it wont last you as long as the i7.

On the other hand an A320 motherboard + R5 1600/2600 + 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHz of RAM are not that expensive right now and will be a great choice for many midrange GPUs out there.

Cheers

Last edited:

mladja064

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016
The best CPU will be a Core i7 6700 or 7700 (if you can find one at good price). If you can get a i7 with 4 cores/ 8 threads will be the best bet. The "K" are the best and will have better base and all cores out of the box frecuency, but those are even more expensive than the non-K ones.

A Core i5 with 4 physical cores will be an upgrade over your pentium, but it wont last you as long as the i7.

On the other hand an A320 motherboard + R5 1600/2600 + 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHz of RAM are not that expensive right now and will be a great choice for many midrange GPUs out there.

Cheers

Intel is still expensive i7 6700 170euros
And for that money i can purchase A320 motherboard + R5 2600

In the first case i keep my mobo and need 170euros for i7 6700 and cannot sell my g4560
In second case i can sell my mobo+cpu for 80euros and only need to pay +90 to go with AMD

Need a budget and country you're shopping from. Otherwise nobody can make informed recommendations for you.

Serbia is my location. Budget//// i am looking for best buy solution nothing over
150-180eur
And some of that budget is depending on seling my mobo/cpu/graf to reduce my expendings

mladja064

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016
If you intend to stick with your 720p monitor for a couple more years, I see absolutely no reason to go with a GTX1070. In fact, your existing GTX1050Ti is sufficient for that resolution.

The 8GB version of the RX570 isn't worth the money. What country are you in exactly? (we could help find the good deals)

Would be nice to get to 2x8GB RAM, but we need to know if you want to go with a used 6th/7th gen i7 drop-in, or if you're looking at a CPU+mobo+RAM upgrade.

What's the budget here?
My 1080p monitor broke so i am stuck with 19inch 720p one.

As i can see for now it is best to replace my CPU and mobo, becouse i am afraid that my curent cpu G4560 is too weak for RX-570 8GB here in Serbia new one is 170Euros
and i could sell my curent 1050 for 90e...

I think that is best to go for AMD Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 3 3200G + mobo 140e-180e
and i can sell my curent cpu+mobo for 80e
I have 8Gb dd4 ram that stays for now

Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 3 3200G, those are not the same, one is a 6 cores / 12 threads CPU and the other is a 4 core / 4 threads CPU.
I would stick to the Ryzen 5 2600.

For 720p the GTX 1050Ti is a very decent card.

Just a reminder, Ryzen cpus like fast memory so a DDR4 2400MHz stick is not horrible, but is far from the 3200MHz one.

Also very important, games love dual channel memory, so I would rather get a 2 x 4GB DDR4 kit that only 1 stick of 8GB.

Cheers

Last edited:

mladja064

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016
Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 3 3200G, those are not the same, one is a 6 cores / 12 threads CPU and the other is a 4 core / 4 threads CPU.
I would stick to the Ryzen 5 2600.

For 720p the GTX 1050Ti is a very decent card.

Just a reminder, Ryzen cpus like fast memory so a DDR4 2400MHz stick is not horrible, but is far from the 3200MHz one.

Also very important, games love dual channel memory, so I would rather get a 2 x 4GB DDR4 kit that only 1 stick of 8GB.

Cheers
well 3200 is almost 1000mhz more :)

I think that is better to go with GPU upgrade than CPU
I wil get better gaming...just dont know is GTX 1070 too much for these cpu..

InvalidError

Titan
I wil get better gaming...just dont know is GTX 1070 too much for these cpu..
You will be able to crank up graphics details but not necessarily frame rates - if your CPU can't run through a game's main loop more than 50 times per second, you get 50fps max regardless of how much more powerful the new GPU might me.

I have played through FFXV on my i5-3470 and once I have lowered graphics enough to reach 45fps, frame rate does not go any higher regardless of how much further I drop visual options (not much left to drop on a GTX1050 by then) because frame rate is completely CPU-bound/bottlenecked beyond that point.

mladja064

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016
You will be able to crank up graphics details but not necessarily frame rates - if your CPU can't run through a game's main loop more than 50 times per second, you get 50fps max regardless of how much more powerful the new GPU might me.

I have played through FFXV on my i5-3470 and once I have lowered graphics enough to reach 45fps, frame rate does not go any higher regardless of how much further I drop visual options (not much left to drop on a GTX1050 by then) because frame rate is completely CPU-bound/bottlenecked beyond that point.

Man now i am confused. I just want better performance in games without fps drops. I play now Borderlands 3 and it goes to 59fps and sometimes i have stutterings and fps drops to 40-45. I was watchig these video
The problem is i cannot change both cpu and gpu because i am short on money...

InvalidError

Titan
As I wrote earlier, unless you are already bottomed-out on graphics settings in your games, you can get better performance from upgrading the CPU so the CPU can run the game mechanics faster and lowering details so your GPU does not need to work as hard per frame so it can sustain higher frame rates in general.

In my case with FFXV, my GTX1050 might be able to give me 50-60fps at the absolutely lowest graphics details if I had a faster CPU. If I upgraded to a Titan RTX, I'd still get only ~45fps because my CPU can't run FFXV any faster than that, though I may be able to run it at 4k mostly maxed out instead of 1080p lowest detail.

CPU dictates the absolute maximum frame rates you can achieve in a game, GPU dictates the highest display resolution and details you can afford to use before dropping below your desired frame rate provided your CPU is able to get you there in the first place. They are two mostly independent things, though people who refuse to compromise on one rarely want to compromise much on the other.

Reactions: mladja064
Solution

mladja064

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016

CPU dictates the absolute maximum frame rates you can achieve in a game, GPU dictates the highest display resolution and details you can afford to use before dropping below your desired frame rate provided your CPU is able to get you there in the first place. They are two mostly independent things, though people who refuse to compromise on one rarely want to compromise much on the other.
I get it! So in my case is smarter to go with better CPU for now. Bye bye 1070. Any alternative to R5 2600 for gaming that you can suggest me?

InvalidError

Titan
On older platforms where 1P Xeons worked fine on mainstream motherboards, a Xeon would have been the cheapest way to get i7-like performance at a fraction of the cost on the used market. For newer games, quad-core i5 are becoming pretty marginal and i7 may not be far behind. Unless you can find a used i7-6700/7700 for pretty cheap, I wouldn't bother with tossing more money on an obsolete platform unless that is the best available to you in Serbia for a remotely reasonable price at the moment.

mladja064

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016
On older platforms where 1P Xeons worked fine on mainstream motherboards, a Xeon would have been the cheapest way to get i7-like performance at a fraction of the cost on the used market. For newer games, quad-core i5 are becoming pretty marginal and i7 may not be far behind. Unless you can find a used i7-6700/7700 for pretty cheap, I wouldn't bother with tossing more money on an obsolete platform unless that is the best available to you in Serbia for a remotely reasonable price at the moment.
Thank you so much for your efort!
I think ill go for the R5 2600 for future upgrades.

Last question:
Does all RAM memoryes CL17 are the same.
In other words i have apacer 1x8gb 2400 CL17
CAS#Latency(CL)17.0clocks
RAS#toCAS#Delay(tRCD) 17clocks
RAS#Percharge(tRP) 17clocks)
Cycle Time(tRAS)39 clocks
and can i pare it with other brand that is same speed and CL17
I have found for 30e these kingston RAM in my town, here are the specs
https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR24N17S8_8.pdf

InvalidError

Titan
Mixing memory is hit-and miss, there are no guarantees that it will work. If you are going to buy new memory, you would be better off going for 2x8GB of DDR4-3000-16 or better, depending on what the fastest memory you can get for a reasonable price is.

The most important thing to match is the memory layout of the DIMMs - same number of chips, same chip density and same memory array layout, any difference there will force the memory controller into interleaved mode since the different DIMMs require different address mapping. Frequency can be faster and timings can be tighter, you just end up running the faster DIMM at the slowest DIMM's specs or possibly a little worse.