G540 in gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oGhastly

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I would like to know if the Intel Celeron G540 is any good in gaming? Couldn't find a lot. I have a Radeon HD 6670 and 4GB Kingston HyperX 1333 DDR3.

Solution
" if we look at the specifications, we will see that the new Celeron CPUs have lower clock frequencies and smaller L3 cache compared to Pentium. But the results of our tests show that it has very little effect on actual performance. There is no huge gap between LGA1155 Celeron and Pentium processors like the one we previously saw between Core i3 and Pentium CPUs. In other words, these two processor families are really close.

So, there is nothing surprising about the fact that the transition to LGA1155 platform has significantly boosted its performance compared with LGA775 predecessors. Sandy Bridge microarchitecture dramatically improved the performance of entry-level systems: by 50% on average and sometimes even twice as much.

Sandy...

mohit9206

Distinguished

its not bad at all. its actually better in games than fx-4100,fx-6100 and fx-8120 as well. its already proven many times that all of the sandy and ivy bridge cpu's are perfectly capable of gaming much better than most of amd cpu's.

thats whats been said, but in the history of gaming celeron has always been seen as lowend still is, it works ok but will bottleneck a top end videocard tho.

if paired with a low-end card such as a 7700 whynot but anything higher ull want a i3 or stronger.

mohit9206

Distinguished
" if we look at the specifications, we will see that the new Celeron CPUs have lower clock frequencies and smaller L3 cache compared to Pentium. But the results of our tests show that it has very little effect on actual performance. There is no huge gap between LGA1155 Celeron and Pentium processors like the one we previously saw between Core i3 and Pentium CPUs. In other words, these two processor families are really close.

So, there is nothing surprising about the fact that the transition to LGA1155 platform has significantly boosted its performance compared with LGA775 predecessors. Sandy Bridge microarchitecture dramatically improved the performance of entry-level systems: by 50% on average and sometimes even twice as much.

Sandy Bridge microarchitecture has always performed very well in 3D games. And today is no exception. Unlike their predecessors, the new Celeron processors can deliver much higher fps rate. Moreover, the difference between the Celeron and Pentium processors doesn’t seem that significant at all, so low-cost Celeron G540 or Celeron G530 processors may be a good option for inexpensive gaming systems after all "
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/celeron-g540-g440_6.html#sect0

Solution

oGhastly

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Thanks a lot. And this is just for a PC for my nephew for under 400 bucks. He really only plays Source games so I think this should be fine.

as u can see 400$ get u a pentium :D

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zOSD
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zOSD/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zOSD/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Pentium G870 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($58.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: A-Data 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6770 1GB Video Card ($86.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Gigabyte GZ-F5HEB ATX Mid Tower Case ($28.12 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $385.01
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-27 00:28 EST-0500)

Base Total: $389.04
Mail-in Rebates: -$20.00
Shipping: $15.97
Total: $385.01

When each generation of celerons are released they are totally capable of at least playing certain games. Note that there is no BF3 MP review. A modern celeron would literally die in a MP CPU intensive game, or even Skyrim.

Now why we suggest at least a pentium is not just for current performance, but also for longetivity of use. You don't want to buy something now just to find out in 6 months its useless.

EDIT : And to add to that, keep in mind don't take a review word for word, apply it and THINK on it for yourself before just accepting it, XBIT is not wrong, but they have used a VERY limited set of games and did not considering the future AT ALL... WHile the information is useful, when used wrongly it can give people the wrong impression.

Because an I3 is beyond many people price point and quite a bit more than even a Pentium. If you get a Celeron, you may as well go for a APU based system. Same diffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.