koolman_

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
i have recently read the reveiw of Matrox new Graphic card G550 on Anand Tech and was wondering that should this be(again) the turning point for the gaming idustry?

"Giving Up is the step towards failure"

G

Sorry for the one word answer, I hate it when people do that to me. Gamers don't typically want dual monitors. The G550 is not a DX8 card.

"The G550 does have a custom made T&L engine; it is a programmable RISC engine that is really only useful for one T&L function which is Matrix Pallette Skinning."

"Just like the G450, the G550 is targeted as far away from the gamer as possible. The 3D performance of the card is in the same category as the Radeon VE or the GeForce2 MX200 although even those two should be able to offer greater performance than the G550."

"Remember that the G550’s T&L unit is only really useful for Matrix Pallette Skinning and vertex shading, which come in very handy with HeadCasting. However since their T&L unit is so tailored to just these features Matrox has made the drivers disable the T&L unit in all applications/games other than those that are HeadCasting specific. You’re not losing out on much since very few applications/games made use of this level of facial animation/shading."