G6-450 and Windows XP

We have an ancient Gateway G6-450 desktop computer. Pentium II
processor, 384MB of RAM. It connects to the Internet via a wireless USB
adapter. The G6-450 came preinstalled with Windows 98FE, but was upgraded a
couple of years ago to Windows ME. My mother uses the machine for email,
typing a few Word documents, scanning pics, but mostly to play PartyPoker.
There must be something about the latter program, because it uses up system
resources like crazy. And when system resources get low on Windows ME, the
computer really starts to malfunction. Finally, to my question. Would
upgrading to Windows XP Home solve this problem?

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

You could, XP will use system resources better than ME ever will, or you
could just try downgrading back to Windows 98 SE before you go out and pay
$100 for an upgrade. I hated ME, very bad with resources, I upgraded my 350
to ME and had trouble too, it now runs 98 SE again and all is well :)

"History Fan" <Ihatespam@ireallyreallyhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
> We have an ancient Gateway G6-450 desktop computer. Pentium II
> processor, 384MB of RAM. It connects to the Internet via a wireless USB
> adapter. The G6-450 came preinstalled with Windows 98FE, but was upgraded
> a couple of years ago to Windows ME. My mother uses the machine for
> email, typing a few Word documents, scanning pics, but mostly to play
> PartyPoker. There must be something about the latter program, because it
> uses up system resources like crazy. And when system resources get low on
> Windows ME, the computer really starts to malfunction. Finally, to my
> question. Would upgrading to Windows XP Home solve this problem?

Either Windows 2000 or Windows XP manages memory resources and deals with memory
leaks 1000% better than either Windows 98 or Windows ME. Windows ME has
especially shabby memory management. There are also 3rd party add-on packages
which improve Windows 98 or ME memory management, but it still ain't perfect.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 10 May 2005 08:59:12 -0400, "History Fan"
<Ihatespam@ireallyreallyhateSPAM.com> wrote:

> We have an ancient Gateway G6-450 desktop computer. Pentium II
>processor, 384MB of RAM. It connects to the Internet via a wireless USB
>adapter. The G6-450 came preinstalled with Windows 98FE, but was upgraded a
>couple of years ago to Windows ME. My mother uses the machine for email,
>typing a few Word documents, scanning pics, but mostly to play PartyPoker.
>There must be something about the latter program, because it uses up system
>resources like crazy. And when system resources get low on Windows ME, the
>computer really starts to malfunction. Finally, to my question. Would
>upgrading to Windows XP Home solve this problem?

>There are also 3rd party add-on packages
> which improve Windows 98 or ME memory management, but it still ain't
> perfect.

Are any of these free?

The good memory managers are not free. Try cnet.com or download.com, searching
for memory management software. You may turn up a free one that helps.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:27:07 -0400, "History Fan"