G620, G850, or AMD for Video Encoding

solitaryman

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Looking to upgrade my PC on a budget. I am currently on a Pentium D 805 with 3.25 GB ram so I am guessing that either of the above mentioned cpu's would be a significant upgrade. But from a budget and performance standpoint I want to know which will be best suited. Im looking to spend max 200 dollars for CPU, MOBO, and ram (all other parts harvested from old PC), though less then 200 would be great.
620 is cheep and if i get a z77 mobo then i have a future upgrade path.
620 vs 850? dunno
I dont know if I should go with AMD, but I know that maybe cheapest.

Note that there will be little to no gaming on this pc. Mostly video encoding and image editing.

Solution
FM1 is for the Llano APUs, which are basically Athlon II CPUs with an integrated graphics core added onto the CPU. The CPU is nothing to write home about, but the integrated graphics are better than Intel's contemporary solution, though the new HD 4000 on Ivy Bridge does come close to matching the best Llano integrated graphics.

AM3 supports the Phenom II and Athlon II series CPUs. The Phenom IIs are still good performers, the X4s being better overall than the quad core FX series, though they are getting harder to find and might be pricier than the FX 4100. There are also the X6 models which would be better than the FX 4100 for encoding, but they are even pricier.

AM3+ supports the new FX CPUs. FX excels in one thing, multithreaded...
Can you give us some numbers to work with? Since if you want an upgrade path, you'll have to make some compromises according to the budget you give us.

But at first I'd say that a true 4 core CPU is better than a high clocked 2 core for encoding. Well, if we count the FX-41xx as a 4 core, it has a lot of speed for encoding in that price range.

Cheers!

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Yeah going with a FX-41xx would be your best option. It would cost around the same as a G620 (maybe a little more expensive) but will give you better results. Remember that you will have to buy DDR3 memory too.
If you do decide going with Intel then I suggest a cheaper motherboard using a H61 chipset. It will support any Sandy Bridge for future upgrades (and I think Ivy Bridge too with a BIOS update) but it will be much cheaper than a Z77

G

honestly neither the G620 or 850 would be useful for video encoding.
a i3 2100 with quick sync and hyperthreading is the bottom of the barrel there . .

G

how about helping the guy out and posting a "sample build"? :)
try using:
http://pcpartpicker.com/
to find the components.

I would agree with the I3 + QS suggestion, only if 1st gen QS wouldn't be horrible and hardly supported (though LAV supports it). Plus it's said the quality of the encodings suck.

And from the top of my head:

FX4100 + 2x2GB DDR3-1333 + AMD990X (any good quality mobo); this is as cheap as it gets.

And I'd say a GTX560 as a video card if budget allows (CUDA is very good for encoding if you want some acceleration). If it's way over the top, then any AMD or nVidia low priced video card to get output :p

Or wait for Desktop Trinity... But that would be like 3 months or so... =/

Cheers!

solitaryman

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Well I already have a case, a corsair 520 psu and a 9800 GT which will be harvested from the old pc. I also have a radeon 4650, which I could use to replace the GT.
Yea I understand I would have to get ddr3 memory...
Im not particularly siding with intel, if some one can direct me towards a good amd build that would be great too. Just that from gaming review from the site, the cpu buying guide suggests the G series, though I understand that those are only for gaming which is not what this machine will be.
Budget wise im looking to spend aprox 75-100 on mobo, 60-80 on cpu, and some basic ram about what ever is the best deal.

solitaryman

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
and there are so many gosh darn varieties of amd cpu's that can be supported by an am3/am3+ cpu that intel just seems eaiser to choose. Then there is the FM1 socket...which i cant seem to tell if it will be good for me or not

FM1 is for the Llano APUs, which are basically Athlon II CPUs with an integrated graphics core added onto the CPU. The CPU is nothing to write home about, but the integrated graphics are better than Intel's contemporary solution, though the new HD 4000 on Ivy Bridge does come close to matching the best Llano integrated graphics.

AM3 supports the Phenom II and Athlon II series CPUs. The Phenom IIs are still good performers, the X4s being better overall than the quad core FX series, though they are getting harder to find and might be pricier than the FX 4100. There are also the X6 models which would be better than the FX 4100 for encoding, but they are even pricier.

AM3+ supports the new FX CPUs. FX excels in one thing, multithreaded workloads, its performance is lackluster otherwise. Since video encoding is multithreaded, it is a viable choice for you. Even FX will outperform similarly priced Intel CPUs in heavily threaded workloads, as all Intel CPUs in that price range are dual core, Intel's quads start at about $170.

Solution
G

+1 that setup

i understand the FM1 socket is going to have a very short life . . . .

You would be much better served in your quest if you went to $240-$250.

That will get into FX-8120, AM3+ and 2x4GB of RAMs territory. 100% performance increase in transcoding for little additional money.

And in the future if you add something like the FirePro V4900 for $160, you will be a pro.

Any non-990FX chipset MoBo will be limited to 95W I'm sure, so he'll have no OC headroom to work with down the road (same with an H61 or non-Z/P chipset from Intel), so that's basically the trade off I was referring to.

Let me look around neweeg for something...

MoBo (ASRock 880GM-LE 880G): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157292
CPU (AMD Phenom II X4 955): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113007
RAM (Kingston HyperX Blu 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104221

It runs for: $99.99 + $28.99 + $59.99 = USD$189

If you want to game, 4GB is enough and even more than enough for encoding. Also, that MoBo supports 125W, so you'll have room to get the 955 into the 3.7Ghz mark within that power limit I'm sure. Don't know if the stock cooler will be enough, but it should.

Cheers!

EDIT: Does that "OEM" thingy means it comes with no HSF? In that case, The boxed 965 is the better choice for a quad-core.
EDIT2: OR the 955 + something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200056 would bring up the 189 to 204 (since it's USD$15 being the cheapest for 125W+)