G750JM: Want to replace the 860m with an 870m from a G750JZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

crescentfresh

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
So, I am having buyers remorse. As bad ass as this G750JM is with the 2GB 860m GPU, I'm wishing I had spent a little more on more GPU as some games are falling just shy of super-awesome.

I'm 99% sure that a 3GB 870m from a G750JZ fits into the G750JM from looking at pictures and I am assuming that power isn't an issue because the G750 series all use the same charger. Might need the heat sink from the G750JZ as well, which should fit too.

What I don't know is about getting working drivers for this upgrade because apparently in the swap done here ---> http://www.pcworld.com/article/2923779/how-to-upgrade-graphics-in-a-laptop.html <--- 'It turns out reference drivers don’t work with the new GPU. Nvidia’s drivers actually check hardware signatures before allowing installs.'

Has anyone upgraded their laptop's GPU without having to pay like $1000 for a kit and tech support? Seems like it would be plug and play except for this possible driver issue :(

Try the drivers for the other model, just download and run them from the support site. Or the ones for the original model. There should not even be a driver upgrade needed going from an 860 to an 870, same generation of video card, one is just faster.

crescentfresh

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
OK, took the plunge and bought an ASUS 880m off of ebay that was pulled from a G750JZ. It was only $200 so worst case this doesn't work hopefully someone will buy it for the same price. I couldn't find any answers anywhere about the heat sinks being universal on the G750 series, and it turns out they are not. The 880m's layout puts its screw ports just about a cm to the right of where the 860m's screw's dock..

So I found an 880m's heatsink from a G750JZ, you can tell from the pics of the termal paste that its the right one for this card. This should be all I need to finally see if this is do-able.

Also, the drivers for the 880m appear to be the same as the 860m, at least the ones from the ASUS website for these two laptops have the same name for the drivers.

Theekshana_1

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016

SO did it work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.