Paul

Splendid
Mar 30, 2004
5,267
0
25,780
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Has anyone ever gotten the G85xi software to run on a server operating
system? I use w2k3 both as a server and desktop os. I think hp made a
strictly business decision not to allow their G85 software to install on
a server, I doubt there is any technical limitation.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:35:33 -0700, Paul <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Has anyone ever gotten the G85xi software to run on a server operating
> system? I use w2k3 both as a server and desktop os. I think hp made a
> strictly business decision not to allow their G85 software to install on
> a server, I doubt there is any technical limitation.

The CD that came with ours is for Win9x/ME/2k/NT 4.0, specifically NOT for
XP (which already has support for its printing/scanning). Although, I
downloaded G series HP software to network scan/copy/fax through JetDirect
175x from XP Pro.

If hp.com does not show anything for w2k3 on their website for G series,
maybe it is because it is no longer a current product and w2k3 did not
exist when it was. Even if you cannot find scanning software for it,
printing to it should not be a problem. I even used an old Deskjet driver
to TCP (LPR) print to it from NT4. And XP can network print to it by
configuring a "local" TCP port using native XP G85 or G95 driver. And our
HP3000 can print PCL to it from 3000 miles away (through VPN).
 

Paul

Splendid
Mar 30, 2004
5,267
0
25,780
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

David Efflandt wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:35:33 -0700, Paul <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone ever gotten the G85xi software to run on a server operating
>>system? I use w2k3 both as a server and desktop os. I think hp made a
>>strictly business decision not to allow their G85 software to install on
>>a server, I doubt there is any technical limitation.
>
>
> The CD that came with ours is for Win9x/ME/2k/NT 4.0, specifically NOT for
> XP (which already has support for its printing/scanning). Although, I
> downloaded G series HP software to network scan/copy/fax through JetDirect
> 175x from XP Pro.
>
> If hp.com does not show anything for w2k3 on their website for G series,
> maybe it is because it is no longer a current product and w2k3 did not
> exist when it was. Even if you cannot find scanning software for it,
> printing to it should not be a problem. I even used an old Deskjet driver
> to TCP (LPR) print to it from NT4. And XP can network print to it by
> configuring a "local" TCP port using native XP G85 or G95 driver. And our
> HP3000 can print PCL to it from 3000 miles away (through VPN).

I can only use it as a printer. It would be nice to use it as a twain
source and fax as well. I think they could have written the G85 software
and install in a more generic style. I think this is the only windows
software I have that won't install and run on w2k3. Just as a consumer
protection issue they should not lock you into an old operating system
forever, what if you intended to use the printer for 10 years? (I still
use my Laserjet II.) Do they expect you to keep using win98 or xp to use
the printer all that time? I also think the operating system hooks and
APIs for windows are somewhat stable, and if written correctly the fax
and twain part of it could work on new versions. I pretty much have a
strict policy here, no more hp equipment.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

My best guess is that HP imposed a limit on the G85 software NOT to install on
Windows 2003 server, because sombody made a command decision that a server was
not appropriate for use as a fax or scanner. Little do they know what people
will do, especially in a small office, home office or home setting. I mean,
yes, if the server is serving hundreds of thousands of web pages every hour, you
would not want to bog it down with scanning and faxing. But, duh, HP. Give
customers a little credit for having the intelligence to make sensible
decisions.

If you want to scan and fax with the G85, plug it into another computer or a
JetDirect. I doubt that there are any other rational choices... Ben Myers

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:52:46 -0700, Paul <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>David Efflandt wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:35:33 -0700, Paul <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone ever gotten the G85xi software to run on a server operating
>>>system? I use w2k3 both as a server and desktop os. I think hp made a
>>>strictly business decision not to allow their G85 software to install on
>>>a server, I doubt there is any technical limitation.
>>
>>
>> The CD that came with ours is for Win9x/ME/2k/NT 4.0, specifically NOT for
>> XP (which already has support for its printing/scanning). Although, I
>> downloaded G series HP software to network scan/copy/fax through JetDirect
>> 175x from XP Pro.
>>
>> If hp.com does not show anything for w2k3 on their website for G series,
>> maybe it is because it is no longer a current product and w2k3 did not
>> exist when it was. Even if you cannot find scanning software for it,
>> printing to it should not be a problem. I even used an old Deskjet driver
>> to TCP (LPR) print to it from NT4. And XP can network print to it by
>> configuring a "local" TCP port using native XP G85 or G95 driver. And our
>> HP3000 can print PCL to it from 3000 miles away (through VPN).
>
>I can only use it as a printer. It would be nice to use it as a twain
>source and fax as well. I think they could have written the G85 software
>and install in a more generic style. I think this is the only windows
>software I have that won't install and run on w2k3. Just as a consumer
>protection issue they should not lock you into an old operating system
>forever, what if you intended to use the printer for 10 years? (I still
>use my Laserjet II.) Do they expect you to keep using win98 or xp to use
>the printer all that time? I also think the operating system hooks and
>APIs for windows are somewhat stable, and if written correctly the fax
>and twain part of it could work on new versions. I pretty much have a
>strict policy here, no more hp equipment.
>