GA-6BXE Rev 1.9 Graphics card advice

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

A friend of mine has a GA-6BXE Rev 1.9 based machine and is looking to
replace the existing Matrox G200 card with something with more memory
(to run Age of Mythology).

I have seen some warnings about GeForce cards, and I'm definitely not
up to making wiring changes to the motherboard!

Would a Sapphire Radeon 7000 32Mb AGP be OK in this board????

The alternative is an AOpen GeForce2 MX400 32Mb AGP, which seems a
better card, but I'm worried about specifying something which won't
work.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Doug

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Doug wrote:
> A friend of mine has a GA-6BXE Rev 1.9 based machine and is looking to
> replace the existing Matrox G200 card with something with more memory
> (to run Age of Mythology).
>
> I have seen some warnings about GeForce cards, and I'm definitely not
> up to making wiring changes to the motherboard!
>
> Would a Sapphire Radeon 7000 32Mb AGP be OK in this board????
>
> The alternative is an AOpen GeForce2 MX400 32Mb AGP, which seems a
> better card, but I'm worried about specifying something which won't
> work.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance,
>
> Doug

Two things on the 6BXE Rev 1.9 - it's only has a 2X AGP slot, so the video
cards in question would have to support the slower speeds. (I think the
cards you are asking about are 2x/4x type cards.)

The other thing is how much power do they require from the AGP slot. Later
versions of the 6BXE/6BXC (Rev 2.0) had jumpers to supply more current for
"Voodoo3 graphic cards"; Rev 1.9 didn't have those jumpers. If your board
has the jumpers, they are located just past the CPU slot, and close to the
ATX power connector and are marked JP19 & JP18. My concern would be if
these cards require a lot of power from the AGP slot, they may cause
instability when the computer reboots unexpectedly.

I wish I had a solid answer for you; I run ATI Rage Pro in my 6BXE's here at
home, and don't do any gaming.

Bob.